Coronaviruses are a family which includes the common cold, SARS, MERS and the current outbreak of the disease COVID-19, caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
Several facilities of our collaboration have started research about SARS-CoV-2 virus or launched open calls for rapid access. This post will be updated regularly.
Diamond Light Source (UK) has created a specific website “Coronavirus Science” with platforms for various audiences: scientific community, general public and the media: https://www.diamond.ac.uk/covid-19.html
The Photon Division of PSI (Switzerland) have collated many information linked to their institute on coronavirus-relevant research (recent publications, rapid access…): https://www.psi.ch/en/psd/covid-19
DESY (Germany) has launched a new page dedicated to Corona Research: https://www.desy.de/news/corona_research/index_eng.html
BESSY II at HZB (Germany) has set up a page where it shows their contributions to the research on SARS-CoV-2 , see here
2020.07.30 Swiss Light Source at PSI (Switzerland) article on their website: COVID-19 research: Anti-viral strategy with double effect
2020.07.29 National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) at Brookhaven Lab (NY / USA) article on their website: Ready to join the fight against COVID-19.
2020.07.20 ALBA (Spain) article on their website: A research team from Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas Margarita Salas (CIB-CSIC) uses synchrotron light to study the possible effect of an antitumoral drug of clinical use over the viral cycle of SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus.
2020.07.15 ALS (USA) article on their website: Antibody from SARS Survivor Neutralizes SARS-CoV-2
2020.07.14 Diamond Light Source (UK), article on their website: Engineered llama antibodies neutralise Covid-19 virus
2020.06.17 European XFEL (Germany) article on their website: Pulling Together: A collaborative research approach to study COVID-19
2020.06.15 European XFEL (Germany) article on their website: Open Science COVID19 analysis platform online
2020.06.09 APS at Argonne National Laboratory (USA) article on their website: Novel Coronavirus Research at the Advanced Photon Source
2020.05. Società Italiana di Fisica publishes an article about research done at Elettra Sincrotrone Trieste (Italy) and the Advanced Light Source (CA / USA): Accelerator facilities support COVID-19-related research
2020.05.27 Diamond Light Source (UK), new animation video demonstrating the work that has been done at Diamond’s XChem facilities.
2020.05.19 Advanced Light Source (CA / USA), article about their latest results: X-ray Experiments Zero in on COVID-19 Antibodies
2020.05.15 Swiss Light Source (Switzerland), article about their first MX results: First MX results of the priority COVID-19 call
2020.05.14 MAX VI (Sweden), article about their research: Tackling SARS CoV-2 viral genome replication machinery using X-rays
2020.05.14 CHESS (NY/USA), article: CHESS to restart in June for COVID-19 research
2020.05.14 the LEAPS initiative brings together many of our European members. The initative published this brochure: Research at LEAPS facilities fighting COVID-19
2020.05.12 Diamond Light Source (UK), article about their collaboration in a consortium: UK consortium launches COVID-19 Protein Portal to provide essential reagents for SARS-CoV-2 research
2020.05.11 Advanced Photon Source (IL/USA), article: Studying Elements from the SARS-CoV-2 Virus at the Bio-CAT Beamline
2020.05.07 European XFEL (Germany), article: European XFEL open for COVID-19 related research
2020.05.06 ESRF (France), article: World X-ray science facilities are contributing to overcoming COVID-19
2020.04.29. BESSY II at HZB (Germany), article: Corona research: Consortium of Berlin research and industry seeks active ingredients
2020.04.29. Swiss Light Source and SwissFEL at PSI (Switzerland), interview series on the PSI website: Research on Covid-19
2020.04.23. PETRA III at DESY (Germany), article: X-ray screening identifies potential candidates for corona drugs
2020.04.21. MAX IV (Sweden), article: BioMAX switches to remote operations in times of COVID-19
2020.04.16. SLAC (CA / USA), article also with news about research at Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Lightsource (SSRL): SLAC joins the global fight against COVID-19
2020.04.15 Berkeley National Lab (CA/ USA), article with a focus on the research at the Advanced Light Source (ALS):
Staff at Berkeley Lab’s X-Ray Facility Mobilize to Support COVID-19-Related Research
2020.04.07 Diamond Light Source (UK), article: Call for Chemists to contribute to the fight against COVID-19
Crowdfunding: COVID-19 Moonshot
2020.04.07. ANSTO’s Australian Synchrotron (Victoria), article: Aiding the global research effort on COVID-19
2020.04.06. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) at Brookhaven Lab (NY / USA), article: Brookhaven Lab Mobilizes Resources in Fight Against COVID-19
2020.04.02. BESSY II at HZB (Germany), article: Corona research: Two days of measuring operation to find the right key
2020.03.31 Diamond Light Source (UK), article: Jointly with Exscientia and Scripps Research, Diamond aims to accelerate the search for drugs to treat COVID-19
2020.03.27 Argonne National Laboratory with the Advanced Photon Source (APS) and other facilities on-site (IL / USA), article: Argonne’s researchers and facilities playing a key role in the fight against COVID-19
2020.03.27 ANSTO’s Australian Synchrotron (Victoria), article and video: Helping in the fight against COVID-19
2020.03.25 PETRA III at DESY (Germany), article: Research team will X-ray coronavirus proteins
2020.03.23 Diamond Light Source (UK) releases its first animation explaining: SARS-CoV-2 Mpro Single Crystal Crystallography
2020.03.25 CERN Courrier (Switzerland) article about synchrotron research on SARS-CoV-2, written by Tessa Charles (accelerator physicist at the University of Melbourne currently based at CERN, completed her PhD at the Australian Synchrotron): Synchrotrons on the coronavirus frontline
2020.03.19 BESSY II at Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin (Germany), research publication: Coronavirus SARS-CoV2: BESSY II data accelerate drug development
2020.03.19 BESSY II at Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin (Germany), technique explanation webpage: Protein crystallography at BESSY II: A mighty tool for the search of anti-viral agents
2020.03.12. Elettra Sincrotrone (Italy), article on their website: New project to fight the spread of Coronavirus has been approved
2020.03.05. Advanced Photon Source (IL / USA), article on their website: APS Coronavirus Research in the Media Spotlight
2020.03.05. Advanced Photon Source (IL / USA), research publication: “Crystal structure of Nsp15 endoribonuclease NendoU from SARS-CoV-2,” bioRXiv preprint DOI: 10.1101/2020.03.02.968388, Article on their website (source: Northwestern University): New Coronavirus Protein Reveals Drug Target
Scientists can apply for rapid access at following facilities (only member facilities of Lightsources.org are referenced, the most recent published (or updated) call is mentioned first).
- European XFEL in Germany launches a call for expressions of interest for rapid access COVID-19 related research opportunities: https://www.xfel.eu/users/covid_19_expressions_of_interest/index_eng.html Please fill in the expression of interest form https://in.xfel.eu/survey/index.php/754324 by 17 June 2020. A dedicated online information meeting will be organized on Tue 09 June 2020 17:30 (CEST, Schenefeld/Hamburg time).
- LCLS at SLAC in California / USA launches a call for proposals:
- Canadian Light Source in Canada opens a call to researchers from any institution, in any location. Priority will be given to proposals for the macromolecular crystallography (CMCF-BM) beamline, but proposals for other beamlines will also be considered. The call is limited to work that can be performed remotely.
- SSRL at SLAC in California / USA is currently supporting remote access experiments at Structural Molecular Biology Macromolecular Crystallography beam lines BL12-2 and BL9-2, and Biological Small-Angle X-ray Scattering (BioSAXS) at BL4-2, with fast access through our Rapid Access Proposal mechanism:
- ALBA Synchrotron in Spain created a special call to gain a To gain unbureaucraticly and fast access to beamtime:
- The European Synchrotron (ESRF) in France considers any priority research on Covid-19 that may need the use of ESRF facilities, including its cryo-electron microscope and its structural biology beamlines, which can be made available exceptionally. More information and contacts:
- The National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) in NY / USA is offering a streamlined and expedited rapid access proposal process for groups that require beam time for structural biology projects directly related to COVID-19. The Center for Biomolecular Structure team is supporting remote macromolecular crystallography experiments at Beamlines 17-ID-1 (AMX) and 17-ID-2 (FMX) in this research area. To submit a macromolecular crystallography proposal for COVID-19 related research, use the following form:
- MAX IV in Sweden opens a Rapid Access Call for Proposals: SARS-CoV-2 and urgent (e.g. health-related) research:
- BESSY II at HZB From October 12th, we will welcome back our users and resume fast track access for Corona related research.
- The Advanced Photon Source (APS) at Argonne National Laboratory in IL / USA user program is operational to support:
· Research on SARS-CoV-2 or other COVID-19-related research that addresses the current pandemic.
· Critical, proprietary pharmaceutical research.
· Mail-in/remote access work for any research involving low-risk samples and most medium-risk samples (as defined on the APS ESAF form).
· Limited in situ research (set-up with one person, and ability to carry out majority of experiment safely remotely)
PETRA III at DESY in Germany offers also Fast Track Access for Corona-related research:
Australian Synchrotron at ANSTO makes its macromolecular crystallography beamlines available to structural biologists in response to the COVID-19 pandemic: https://www.ansto.gov.au/user-access
North American DOE lightsource facilities have created a platform to enable COVID-19 research. There you can find ressources and points of contact to request priority access:
Structural Biology Resources at DOE Light Sources
Elettra Sincrotrone Trieste in Italy opens to remote acces following beamlines: XRD1, XRD2, SISSI-BIO and MCX thanks to an CERIC-ERIC initiative:
The Advanced Light Source (ALS) at LBNL in California / USA has capabilities relevant to COVID-19 and researchers can apply through their RAPIDD mechanism:
ALBA Synchrotron in Spain offers a COVID-19 RAPID ACCESS on all beamlines:
SOLARIS Synchrotron in Poland gives acces to its Cryo Electron Microscope thanks to an CERIC-ERIC initiative: https://www.ceric-eric.eu/2020/03/10/covid-19-fast-track-access/
Swiss Light Source and Swiss FEL at PSI in Switzerland offer priority access to combating COVID-19:
Diamond Light Source in the United Kingdom opened also a call for rapid access:
Image: Electron density at the active site of the SARS-CoV-2 protease, revealing a fragment bound
Credit: Diamond Light Source