Website advancedphoton Argonne National Laboratory
The X-ray Science Division (XSD) of Argonne National Laboratory enables world-class research using x-rays by operating beamlines with novel capabilities, developing advanced instrumentation and techniques, and pursuing research in the energy, environmental, life, and materials sciences. We are seeking a highly motivated and talented scientist to join our research team. The ideal candidate will play a key role in conducting cutting-edge research with x-ray ptychography and developing advanced methods & instrumentation in this field.
- Plan and carry out synchrotron radiation research for high-resolution imaging with a focus on ptychography and scanning probe-type instruments.
- Perform coherent imaging experiments and analyze data to develop new insights and technologies.
- Contribute to the installation and commissioning of new scanning instruments.
- Collaborate with users to develop scientific applications and support user experiments.
- Work with team members and other groups to drive the development of advanced ptychographic methods & instrumentation, especially targeting techniques using the upcoming APS Upgrade sources.
- Analyze and present research findings at meetings, conferences, and journals.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 5+ years of experience, or Master’s Degree and 3+ years or experience, a Doctorate, or equivalent.
- In-depth knowledge of x-ray microscopy and coherent diffraction imaging techniques including ptychography.
- Strong background in experimental physics, with synchrotron beamline controls and data acquisition experience highly preferred.
- Familiarity with x-ray physics, including optics, detectors, scattering and diffraction processes.
- Strong computational skills and experience in computational imaging.
- Proficiency in using relevant software and tools, such as Python, C++.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team-oriented environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Role model Argonne’s Core Values.
- Understand, value, and promote diversity.
Research Development (RD)
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
To apply for this job please visit argonne.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.