Website BrookhavenLab NSLS-II (National Synchrotron Light Source)
Job ID 3638
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
At BNL, the Energy & Photon Sciences (EPS) Directorate is working to solve grand challenges that will create solutions and security for the nation’s energy system. Advances in basic science are the underpinning of transformational discoveries that rely on Brookhaven’s data-driven research, cutting-edge synchrotron science, and leadership in energy science through real-time study of applicable energy materials in working conditions. As part of the capabilities and science focus of the EPS, the National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) is a state-of-the-art 3 GeV electron storage ring. The facility offers scientific and industrial researchers an array of instruments (beamlines) using x-ray, ultraviolet, and infrared light to enable discoveries in clean and affordable energy, high-temperature superconductivity, molecular electronics, and more.
The Photon Science Division of the NSLS-II, within BNL’s Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate, currently has a full-time opportunity for a Beamline Mechanical Engineer. The selected candidate will report to the Beamline Engineering Group Leader and will manage and lead engineering and development of an assigned engineering task through modeling, analysis, creating specifications, arranging fabrication and procurement with participation in assembly, tests, installation and commissioning.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Closely interact with beamlines scientific and technical staff to design and build synchrotron beamlines and associated scientific instrumentation to support research projects and the respective endstations.
- Detailed specification, design, analysis, arranging fabrication/ procurement, testing, installation, and commissioning of x-ray beamlines components and endstations instrumentation.
- Prepare engineering calculations, inspection/reports, and QA documents.
- Provide technical guidance and supervision to project designers and technicians.
- Assist Project Management teams in developing project plans, presentations, budget estimates, and work schedules.
- Provide technical input in internal and external design reviews.
- Develop bid documents, evaluate bid proposals, and make contract award recommendations.
- Maintain and implement safety practices and procedures applicable to daily activities.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or related discipline and at least 3 years of related experience.
- Substantial knowledge in mechanical design of complex instrumentation, analysis (including FEA), materials and advanced manufacturing processes.
- Working-level knowledge and experience with 3D CAD modeling software
- Manual dexterity and experience with hands-on work for both assembly and disassembly of delicate equipment.
- Ability to interpret and work from procedures, drawings, user manuals and verbal instructions.
- Ability to develop complete, accurate and detailed work packages, specifications, drawings and other engineering documents.
- Effective interpersonal, oral and communication skills, and the ability to work effectively with a diverse group of scientists, engineers and technical staff.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A master’s degree in mechanical engineering or related discipline with related experience
- Working knowledge and experience in thermal, structural analysis using ANSYS and 3D modeling with Inventor.
- Working knowledge of (high/ultra-high) vacuum, cryogenic, and precision motion equipment.
- Experience with troubleshooting and maintenance of complex technical equipment.
- Experience working at a synchrotron facility.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Lifting, moderate 15-30 lbs
- Ability to hear alarms
- Mental sharpness
- Physical coordination and balances
- Arm/hand dexterity
- Vision, good near and normal color
- Hear and understand speech
- Continuous walking/standing
- Candidate will be hired at the appropriate level commensurate with depth and breadth of experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees. Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO is required at the start of your employment.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.