Deadline: 2018/09/07Institution: ALBA is the Spanish 3-GeV synchrotron radiation facility operated by the Consortium CELLS, which is equally funded by the Spanish Government (Ministerio de Ciencia, Innovación y Universidades) and the Catalan Government (Generalitat de Catalunya, Departament d’Economia i Coneixement). ALBA is currently operating 8 beamlines, and is expanding its capabilities with the construction of four new beamlines. Among these new beamlines, FAXTOR will be the full-field hard X-ray imaging facility and its proposal can be downloaded from the following link: https://www.cells.es/en/beamlines
FaX-ToR (Fast X-ray Tomography and Radiography beamline) will be devoted to fast X-ray radioscopy which allows understanding dynamic processes taking place in short times (sub-millisecond range) combining the fast imaging acquisition with the penetrating power of hard X-rays. On the other hand, synchrotron tomography provides a way for visualising and analysing the three-dimensional interior structure of real objects non-destructively and with a high spatial resolution. The final technical design of FAXTOR has to cope with the objective of achieving ‘quasi real time tomography’, which combines 3D spatial resolution close to the micrometre and sub-second temporal resolution.
The successful candidate will:
• Lead the design, construction and commissioning of the FAXTOR beamline, together with the rest of the scientific beamline staff and the corresponding engineers.
• Manage the FAXTOR team which will finally be two additional scientists and one postdoc.
• Develop a scientific program in hard X-ray imaging (including if needed beamline instrumentation) that takes advantage of and expands the capabilities of the beamline.
The candidate must have a: i) PhD degree in physics, chemistry, material science, or related discipline; and ii) proven experience of more than 3 years at synchrotrons working in the X-ray imaging field.
Extensive experience, proven with publications, is needed on hard X-ray imaging.
Other assets are
• Synchrotron beamline instrumentation.
• Good programming skills, especially Python. Experience on controls systems is also valuable.
• Good skills on electronics, high-precision mechanics, optics, etc.
• Knowledge of synchrotron X-ray tracing.
• Good interpersonal skills, adaptability to a multidisciplinary environment, sense of responsibility and capabilities to work in a group and to lead the group.
• The working language at ALBA is English. A good level of English both written and spoken is strictly required. Knowledge of Spanish and/or Catalan is an asset.
Period: The open job offer is a long-term temporary contract due to the current Spanish regulation.
Salary: Yearly gross salary according to qualification and experience. The contract includes a test period of six months.
To apply for this job please visit intranet.cells.es.