Job ID 3503
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) is an advanced 3 GeV synchrotron light source operating at Brookhaven National Laboratory, a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. NSLS-II seeks a motivated Beamline Scientist for the ARPES and RIXS Imaging (ARI) Beamline. The ARI Beamline, currently under construction and targeting first light in early 2027, provides state-of-the-art nano-imaging Resonant Inelastic X-rays Scattering (n-RIXS) and nano-imaging Angular Resolved Photoemission (n-ARPES) capabilities, with ultra-high spatial resolution (~ 100nm) over a wide photon energy range (40 eV – 1000 eV) and with ultra-high photon flux (>1×1012 ph/s), enabling the study of the electronic, chemical, atomic and magnetic properties of materials with a spatial resolution on the same order as prospective devices and confinement induced quantum effects.
The successful candidate will be part of a diverse scientific program. Working closely with the ARI Lead Beamline Scientist and the scientific user community, the selected candidate will assist with design, construction and commissioning of the beamline, support operation of the beamline, contribute to development/upgrade projects, establish relevant research projects, and develop opportunities for scientific collaborations that exploit the unique qualities of the ARI beamline.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively contribute to the beamline design, construction, operations, and user support.
- Innovate and upgrade the instrumentation to fulfil scientific demands and maintain beamline performance at the forefront of the field.
- Provide, as part of an open-source process, data acquisition and analysis software tools to enable staff and users at the ARI beamline to maintain scientific output at the forefront of the field.
- Provide users with the support and capabilities needed to achieve and complete high-impact experiments.
- Develop a science program, instrumentation and/or analysis software working as a member of a team to conduct experimental programs in the Soft X-ray Scattering and Spectroscopy Program at NSLS-II.
- Collaborate with NSLS-II scientists, BNL scientists, and General Users for effective and innovative use of the ARI beamline.
- PhD in Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science or related fields.
- At least two (2) years of experience (beyond the PhD) in synchrotron-based electron spectroscopy and/or scattering techniques.
- Demonstrated experience with the RIXS technique.
- Demonstrated experience involving multi-modal investigations using RIXS and other techniques; such as ARPES, XAS, X-ray Diffraction, etc.
- Good understanding of experimental instrumentation.
- Python programming experience, or similar skills, and a willingness to contribute to the development of NSLS-II data analysis tools in an open-source, collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated publication record.
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to interact effectively in a team environment with a diverse group of scientists, engineers, technical staff, and users.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated Experience with the ARPES technique.
- Demonstrated Experience involving multi-modal investigations using ARPES and other techniques; such as RIXS, XAS, X-ray Diffraction, etc.
- Experience of constructing and/or operating beamlines and providing user support in an X-ray user facility.
- Demonstrated experience in data analysis and data reduction, particularly from multiple different techniques, such as RIXS, ARPES, XAS, X-ray Diffraction, etc.
- Demonstrated capability of working independently.
- Good organizational, analytical skills and work planning capabilities.
- Proven abilities for disseminating research by writing papers and giving scientific presentations.
- The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate professional level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills, as well as years of relevant experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees. Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO is required at the start of your employment.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file
To apply for this job please visit careers.peopleclick.com.