The National Synchrotron Radiation Centre SOLARIS, operating at the Jagiellonian University, is looking for a candidate for the position of Beamline Scientist at NAP-XPS end station.
The NAP-XPS end station is an experimental station dedicated to Near-Ambient-Pressure X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy, which is a powerful tool for the investigation of surfaces in the presence of gases and liquids. The unique properties of synchrotron-based NAP-XPS end station open up new opportunities for studying dynamic changes on material surfaces and correlate them with the catalytic performance and perform photon-energy dependent depth-profiling.
As part of the work, the candidate may/should take care of his scientific development, i.e. conduct his own research, participate in conferences and training, submit applications for external and internal funding, and develop scientific cooperation between research groups.
Description of tasks:
• support in research and infrastructure operation for external research groups;
• construction, maintenance and upgrading of the experimental beamline infrastructure as well as development of analytical tools to meet the research objectives of users;
• participation in training courses, conferences and other business trips;
• publishing results in scientific journals.
• PhD degree in physics, chemistry, materials science or related technical sciences (or close to the date of defence of the doctoral thesis confirmed by a statement from the supervisor);
• experience with the X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS);
• experience in research work, experimental data acquisition and analysis, confirmed by publications;
• willingness to apply for grants and research projects and to participate in national and international collaborations;
• independence in conducting research and organizational work;
• knowledge of English enabling the presentation of scientific results in written and oral form as well as communication with research groups during experimental support;
• self-discipline and ability to work in a team.
Additional preferred skills:
• experience in synchrotron research;
• experience in the implementation of research projects and international cooperation;
• experience in operating vacuum systems and knowledge about basic ultra-high vacuum systems.
Work at the Center provides:
• research work (without teaching commitments) at the experimental beamline at SOLARIS synchrotron and the opportunity to participate in the development of advanced and unique research equipment;
• contact with the latest technologies and scientific developments;
• the opportunity of conducting advanced scientific research as part of national projects and in international cooperation;
• participation in international conferences and training courses;
• the opportunity to apply for external funding (grants, fellowships);
• stable employment based on an employment contract with remuneration commensurate with competence and experience.
Place of employment: Krakow, Poland (Jagiellonian University)
We offer a full-time fixed-term employment contract with the prospect of employment for an indefinite period.
More information can be obtained by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job please visit synchrotron.uj.edu.pl.