Lunds universitet, MAX IV, MX group
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 40 000 students and 7 600 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
MAX IV is a Swedish national large-scale research laboratory hosted by Lund University. It provides scientists from Sweden as well as internationally, with state-of-the-art instrumentation for research in areas such as engineering, physics, structural biology, chemistry and nanotechnology. Fully developed it will receive more than 2 000 scientists annually, conducting ground-breaking experiments in materials and life sciences using the brilliant X-ray light.
BioMAX is the first operational beamline for macromolecular crystallography at MAX IV and runs within the MAX IV user program for the last 3 years. The beamline is a state-of-the-art beamline geared towards high-throughput protein crystallography with high performance x-ray optics and control systems, goniometry, x-ray detectors and a cryogenic sample changer (see also: http://www.maxiv.se/biomax). The beamline is able to provide remote access to the users. As part of the user facilities available at BioMAX, we are developing the FragMAX platform, with the aim to develop and operate a crystallographic fragment screening facility at MAX IV.
The beamline is operated by the international and interdisciplinary BioMAX team, which is part of the MX-group. Within the MX group we are also constructing and developing MicroMAX, a serial crystallography beamline for studying protein dynamics.
We are now looking for a beam line scientist who will lead the FragMAX project team. We think you enjoy working in an international and creative environment. You will join our team working at the BioMAX beamline to further develop the FragMAX screening platform. This includes constant development of relevant processes to carry out fragment screening at all levels of our support chain, support of users during screening experiments and standard beamline support, collaborations with external partners such as the LP3 laboratory, industrial partners as well as other international collaborators and future FragMAX user communities.
You are expected to work both independently and in close collaboration with the entire BioMAX team and with academic and industrial collaboration partners. User support will be an important part of the activity. The MX environment will provide opportunities for collaborative work at the frontiers of the field structural biology.
Work duties and areas of responsibility:
- Lead the development of the FragMAX project and team.
- Collaborate with the external partners of the FragMAX project.
- Shared responsibilities for operation, maintenance and further development of the beamline in close collaboration with the team of scientists and engineers of the MX-group and MAX IV staff
- Shared responsibility for the support (technical and scientific) of external users during their experimental beam time, both onsite and by remote conferencing.
- Shared responsibility for further development of user access programs
- Contribution to dissemination and education activities directed to MAX IV users and the wide MX community
- PhD in a relevant scientific field for the FragMAX project
- Documented research activities within the area of structural biology using macromolecular crystallography, or of macromolecular crystallography methods development.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team, but also an ability to work independently.
- Good communication skills, and an excellent command of English, both oral and written.
- Experience of providing access and support at user research facilities
- Experience in development, implementation, commissioning and operation of instrumentation for protein crystallography experiments at either synchrotrons or XFELs.
- Experience in programming either for scientific software or for instrument and experimental control.
- Experience in development, design, implementation and commissioning of instrumentation
MAX IV operates 24/7 and you will be part in on-call service of the MX-group for user support, including weekends and bank holidays in accordance to the working hour regulation.
The interviews for this position is planned for weeks 18-19 and week 22.
Probational period may apply.
|Type of employment||Permanent position|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||As per agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
|Last application date||14.Apr.2020 11:59 PM CET|
To apply for this job please visit lu.varbi.com.