ANSTO operates much of Australia’s landmark science facilities including one of the world’s most modern nuclear research reactors (OPAL) and the Australian Synchrotron, together hosting thousands of researchers from industry and academia every year. We partner with scientists and engineers and apply new technologies to provide real-world benefits. Our work improves human health, saves lives, builds our industries and protects the environment. An exciting new development phase, the BRIGHT program, will design, install and commission 8 new beamlines at the Australian Synchrotron over the next 4 years. The Nanoprobe is one of these BRIGHT beamlines.
The Nanoprobe is a 100-m-long beamline optimised to deliver a tightly focussed X-ray beam for use in a range of X-ray elemental mapping and imaging experiments. Specimens will typically be supplied by visiting scientists across a wide range of disciplines including human health, plant biology, environment, advanced materials, catalysis, minerals, energy, earth, and chemical and physical sciences. The core capabilities of the Nanoprobe beamline will encompass:
- elemental mapping, XANES spectroscopy and tomography via X-ray-induced X-ray fluorescence emission;
- high-resolution transmission imaging via absorption, differential phase contrast and ptychography;
- small-angle scattering and diffraction mapping methods;
- sample environments including cryogenics, and;
- development of optical methods.
- Presently in the design phase, the Nanoprobe beamline is scheduled for commissioning in early 2024, with routine operations commencing by mid-2024. After this time there is the potential to transfer to an ongoing role in the operation of the beamline.
About this position
The Beamline Scientist – Nanoprobe offers an opportunity to develop and define experimental research requirements and work with the beamline project team to translate them into practical beamline and instrument designs. In this role you will:
- aid in the scientific design of the beamline endstation equipment using expertise drawn from personal research or previous large facility experience;
- contribute to the procurement and acceptance testing of major beamline components;
- assist in the integration of components and systems into the Nanoprobe beamline;
- continue to undertake a programme of personal research – ideally aligned with the beamline/facility capabilities and goals
- work closely with the Scientific Computing team and play a key role in the development of associated software and computing systems;
- contribute to the development of the Nanoprobe User Community via outreach activities;
- contribute to the cold and hot commissioning of the Nanoprobe beamline, and;
- support the operational User Program as a Beamline Scientist on the Nanoprobe beamline.
The skills required for the role are encompassed within the Beamline Scientist Position Description (PD-1916). The specific requirements for the Beamline Scientist – Nanoprobe are:
- A PhD in a relevant field of science and postdoctoral or equivalent experience in execution and research applications of X-ray or neutron scattering;
- Experience and working knowledge of scanning-probe imaging techniques, including the ability to acquire, process, analyse, and interpret data;
- Experience and working knowledge of X-ray focussing optics and focussing methods;
- Demonstrated ability to conduct independent research activities and achieve high quality scientific outcomes;
- Technical skills in the areas of instrumentation design and commissioning;
- A positive, hands-on attitude;
- Ability to learn in a dynamic environment;
- Strong programming skills, preferably in Python;
- Ability to troubleshoot problems on complex systems in real-time;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to liaise with people at all levels;
- Ability to work unsupervised and as part of a team.
Benefits of working at ANSTO
We are a centre of excellence with a reputation for attracting and retaining high calibre staff offering employees the following benefits and opportunities:
- Investing in our employees by supporting tertiary studies and encouraging job opportunities
- Offering work/life balance including flexible working arrangements (eg. part time work), salary packaging benefits, generous superannuation and great working conditions
- Providing an extensive range of leave provisions including paid recreation leave, 16 weeks maternity leave, paternity leave and special leave which covers cultural, moving, funeral and emergency leave
- Promoting health and wellbeing programs offered by ANSTO through regular onsite employee health and wellbeing programs, including annual men’s and women’s health screening programs.
Diversity and Excellence
In order to solve great challenges, we need great minds and great teams. At ANSTO, we understand that diverse teams produce better outcomes – and we value the merit that a diverse perspective can bring to our team. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply for our roles including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, primary carers, those with a disability, and women in STEM. ANSTO is a charter member of the Science in Australia Gender Equity (SAGE) initiative and is proudly taking action to create a gender-inclusive workforce.
For further information and to apply
For further technical information relating to this position please refer to the Position Information Package or contact Dr Martin de Jonge on +61 3 8540 4195 or firstname.lastname@example.org . For all other queries please contact the HR Shared Services Team on +61 2 9717 3359 .
If this position sounds exciting and you are ready for a challenge, please visit http://www.ansto.gov.au
and follow the links to the Current Vacancies page. There you can view the Position Description, complete the application form and submit your application online.
To be eligible for appointment, applicants will require a security and medical assessment. Australian Citizenship is preferred but not mandatory.
- Fixed Term Position Available with a possibility of long term appointment
- A Competitive Salary Package will be offered commensurate with qualifications and experience | Generous Employer Superannuation Contribution
- Clayton | Work-life balance | Health & Wellbeing Programs
- Opportunity to apply your expertise and professional skills in a unique facility.
- Join a flexible workplace culture that values and respects diversity and inclusion.
Applications close: 29 November 2020
To apply for this job please visit anstocareers.nga.net.au.