Limited: 3 years | Starting date: 01.03.2024 | ID: FSMA068/2023 | Deadline: 04.12.2023 | Full-time/Part-time
DESY, with more than 3000 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world’s leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
Beamline P02.2 is dedicated to Extreme Conditions Research and in particular is focused on studies of polycrystalline, amorphous and single crystal materials by means of X-ray diffraction at elevated pressures and temperatures using the techniques of laser or resistive heated Diamond Ancil Cells (DAC). In order to strengthen the beamline operation we seek a beamline scientist with the following expertise and for the duties specified.
About your role:
- Further development and user support of the Laser Heating Experiment as well as associated heating lasers (YBF & CO2) and spectroscopic equipment
- Computational and scientific user support for laser heating experiments and structural refinement of powder and single crystal data using the DAC
- Promotion and support of scientific projects related to laser heating experiment at the Extreme Conditions Beamline
Good reasons to join:
Look forward to a unique working environment on our international research campus. Respectful cooperation and the well-being of our DESY employees are particularly important to us. Gender equality is an important aspect for us. To support work life balance we offer flexible working hours. You will benefit from our family-friendly and collegial atmosphere, our established health management and occupational pension provision. As a public funded employer, we offer you a secure workplace and facilitate your individual career with our comprehensive training and development opportunities. Remuneration is according to the regulations of the TV-AVH. DESY offers its employees a financial supplement for a German job ticket at both locations.
- PhD in physics, chemistry, mineralogy or equivalent qualification is required
- Deep and integral knowledge of high pressure physics and of laser heating in the DAC with YBL and CO2 lasers, as well as resistive heating
- Deep and integral knowledge in powder and single crystal X-ray diffraction and the structural refinement
- Experience with dynamical laser heating in DACs
- Excellent research and communication skills in English language
- Extensive experience in user support at synchrotron facilities
- Knowledge of programming on python is an asset
For further information please contact Hanns-Peter Liermann at +49 40 8998-5722 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please submit your complete application documents (letter of motivation, CV and relevant certificates).
We look forward to receiving your application via our application portal:
DESY promotes equal opportunities and diversity. The professional development of women is very important to us and therefore we strongly encourage women to apply for the vacant position. Applications from severely disabled persons will be given preference if they are equally qualified.
You can find further information here:
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
To apply for this job please visit v22.desy.de.