Job ID 2828
Date posted 01/21/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Imaging and Microscopy Program at BNL’s National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) offers world-class capabilities for imaging complex and heterogeneous materials with diverse imaging modalities at multiple length scales. The Imaging and Microscopy Program operates five beamlines (FXI, HXN, SRX, TES, and XFM) with strong general user programs. FXI and HXN are nanoscale imaging beamlines offering full-field and scanning imaging capabilities, respectively. TES and XFM are microprobe beamlines, while SRX operates at micron to deep submicron range. The member of the Imaging and Microscopy Program share common tools and resources and engage in strong inter-beamline collaboration.
NSLS-II has an opening for a beamline scientist to join the HXN beamline team. The HXN beamline has multimodal imaging capabilities using fluorescence, diffraction, phase-contrast (differential phase contrast and ptychography), and spectroscopy. HXN is in the process of enhancing the nanoscale chemical imaging via XANES and is looking for a qualified candidate to lead the nanoscale chemical imaging. In particular, the successful candidate is expected to develop a coherent research plan by integrating chemical imaging into 3D multimodal imaging at HXN and strengthening the general-user scientific program. The successful candidate is expected to play the lead role in establishing a common workflow for spectromicroscopy analysis for the program, actively collaborating with the imaging beamline teams and the Data Science & Systems Integration (DSSI) team. The successful candidate will also provide user support at the SRX beamline in the area of common scientific interest and enhance the multiscale spectromicroscopy capability across the HXN and SRX beamlines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead expansion of the nanoscale XANES imaging capability at HXN and integration of the developed capability into the existing measurement and analysis workflow.
- Expand the general user community for nanoscale chemical imaging by performing user support and engaging collaborative research at HXN.
- Perform user support at SRX, enhancing multiscale spectroscopy research by deploying the developed spectromicroscopy capabilities.
- Establish common spectromicroscopy analysis capability for the imaging beamlines by collaborating with the other beamline scientists and the DSSI team.
- Publish work in peer-reviewed journals and present results at scientific meetings.
- Interact with the other NSLS-II staff to perform commissioning, maintenance, and upgrading tasks at HXN.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Ph.D. in physics, materials science, chemistry, or relevant field
- At least two (2) years of research experience beyond Ph.D.
- At least two (2) years “hands-on” experience with synchrotron-based measurements
- Demonstrated experience in X-ray microanalysis
- Good publication record that includes synchrotron measurements
- Ability to interact effectively in a team environment with a diverse group of scientists, engineers, technical staff, and users
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Significant knowledge of X-ray fluorescence microscopy or spectroscopy demonstrated in publication or analysis programs
- Significant synchrotron experience in x-ray imaging or spectroscopy
- Experience with user support and synchrotron instrumentation
- Demonstrated proficiency in scientific programming (preferably Python) or GUI development.
- Candidate will be hired at the appropriate level commensurate with depth and breadth of experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees. Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required at the start of your employment.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.