Job ID 1950
The National Synchrotron Light Source-II (NSLS-II) at Brookhaven National Laboratory is seeking exceptional candidates for a beamline scientist position for the Coherent Hard X-ray (CHX) beamline. A part of the Complex Scattering Program at NSLS-II, the CHX beamline is a high-brightness undulator beamline which provides world-leading capabilities for hard X-ray (9-16 keV) coherent scattering and studies of nano-scale dynamics of materials using X-ray Photon Correlation Spectroscopy (XPCS). CHX enables state-of-the-art research for a user community with wide research interests covering both soft and hard materials and a variety of applications including, but not being limited to, in-situ studies during advanced manufacturing processes, polymeric and nano-composite materials, materials for energy conversion and storage, quantum materials.
Working together with beamline scientists and data analysis scientists, with beamline technicians and engineers and other support staff, the successful candidate will support the user program and beamline operations at the CHX beamline. The candidate will be placed at the appropriate scientific level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills the candidate brings to the position, as well as the amount of relevant experience.
- support of the CHX beamline: operations and user programs;
- development of high-performance data analysis and data management solutions for coherent scattering and XPCS;
- collaborative development of novel autonomous analysis solutions based on machine learning and artificial intelligence;
- development of an independent research program and opportunities for internal and external scientific collaborations that leverage the unique capabilities of the beamline.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in physics, chemistry, or a related field.
- At least two years of postdoctoral or equivalent experience applying X-ray scattering techniques to high-impact science, demonstrated by a strong publication record.
- Experience with complex X-ray data analysis
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to work effectively with a multidisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, and technical support staff.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Prior experience in XPCS or other coherent X-ray scattering technique.
- Experience with Python programming language.
- Prior experience in the design, installation, commissioning and operation of a synchrotron beamline.
Other Information: The position classification offered will be commensurate with the candidate’s depth and breadth of experience.
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.