The International Center for Synchrotron-light for Experimental Science and Applications in the Middle East (SESAME) is established in Jordan, under the auspices of UNESCO. Its mission is to promote international collaboration in the Middle East and the Mediterran ean region using synchrotron light for basic and applied research in physics, chemistry, biology, materials science, environmental and medical investigations, archaeological studies and other research areas of relevance to the region. The cent erpiece of SESAME is an advanced synchrotron light source that is being constructed and to be operated by the Members of SESAME (Cyprus, Egypt, Iran (Islamic Republic of), Israel, Jordan, Pakistan, the Palestinian Authority, and Turkey) with the support of the international community. SESAME is an international scientific and technological centre of excellence open to all qualified scientists worldwide.
SESAME is partner of OPEN SESAME (http://www.opensesame-h2020.eu/en/), a EU supported project supporting, among other activities, staff exchanges between SESAME and various European Institutions.
The accelerator complex of SESAME consists of a 22 MeV Electron Preaccelerator, an 800 MeV Electron Booster Synchrotron, and 2.5 GeV Electron Storage Ring. The accelerator complex is fully operational.
Two beamlines are presently installed at SESAME (XAFS/XRF and IR). One more beamline is being installed (Materials Science), components for a fourth beamline for Macromolecular Crystallography are being procured and a fifth beamline for microtomography is foreseen in the coming years. The XAFS/XRF beamline started its experimental activity in November 2017, while the IR beamline is in the commissioning phase.
I Organizational setting of the post
1. Post grade: P1 Step 1
2. Title of the post: Communication/Public Relation Officer (Vacancy notice number AD/18/4)
3. SESAME Sector: Administrative
4.Duty Station: SESAME site, Allan, Jordan
5.Type of contract: Fixed term, 3 years (first 12 months are probation period).
We are looking for an enthusiastic public relation practitioner to set and oversee the delivery and planning of a core public engagement programme for the scientific community and the public in the middle east and beyond. Candidates will have proven communication skills and the ability to translate complex scientific concepts into readily understandable terminology, as well as a talent for presenting and facilitating.
Candidates will need to have experience working in science communication with both public and academic audiences.
1. Relevant academic degree (Preferably scientific);
2. Excellent command of English in speaking and writing,
3. 2-3 years of experience in organising and co-ordinating events on both a large and small scale;
4. Strong organisational skills;
5. Strong sense of initiative;
6. Strong presentation & communication skills;
7. Ability to work independently;
8. Strong IT skills – standard MS office and in particular outlook and access packages;
9. Ability to make information accessible to lay audiences in an engaging way.
1. Minimum knowledge of website editing;
2. Qualifications, training or experience in science communication or education;
3. Experience of presenting to large and small groups;
4. Experience of working in a busy communications office;
5. A knowledge or understanding of data protection issues;
6. Experience of engaging with the general public;
7. Experience of engaging with schools and education professionals.
1. Plan and manage a set calendar of events that agree s with the public engagement programme,
2. Work with scientists based at SESAME and our user institutions to develop their ideas into deliverable public engagement activities and events;
3. Work with schools to develop and deliver events and visits in the local community, and lead the development and delivery of the Diamond work experience programme; and training and CPD (Continual Professional Development) for teachers;
4. Manage the public engagement programme at SESAME, working at festivals, museums and other partner venues discussing our science and its impact on society;
5. Lead on the planning, delivery and development staff training materials to increase capacity for public engagement at the facility and partner institutions;
6. Manage the delivery of the Communications and Public Engagement training programme for staff and users to ensure that activities are maximised;
7. Work with staff internally and in external partners hips to produce high quality content for events;
8. Manage databases and online event registration systems linked to Public Engagement activities ensuring compliance with current data protection requirements;
9. To propose and apply for grant funding as required;
10. To assist with high level/bespoke visits to the facility as required and support the delivery of other activities undertaken by the Communications and PE team as required.
V Application Closing Date
The search will start immediately and will continue until a suitable candidate is found
1.The work provisional starting date is as soon as possible
2. The work location is in Jordan
3. The candidate should be willing to travel abroad to attend training, workshops and seminars.
4. The position requires full time commitment.
5. The entry level and salary will be based upon the qualifications, experience and the level of responsibility of the post.
6. In addition to the basic salary the incumbent is entitled to other allowances (installation grant, education grant, housing subsidy, etc.).
7. For more information please consult (www.sesame.org.jo/jobs/employmentconditions.aspx)
8. The candidate should ideally be a national of a Member of SESAME.
9. SESAME is an equal opportunity employer
How to apply
A detailed C.V. in English, a cover letter and a list and contact details of at least two referees should be addressed to SESAME Administration by filling the Online Submission Form on the announcement page.
For further Information: Consult the SESAME website : www.sesame.org.jo
To apply for this job please visit www.sesame.org.jo.