CONTEXT & JOB DESCRIPTION
The Extremely Brilliant Source upgrade of the ESRF has led to two orders of magnitude increase in the available coherent X-ray flux. This primarily benefits techniques such as coherent diffraction imaging (CDI), holo-tomography, ptychography which can image samples in three dimensions with an increased speed and resolution. One important challenge remains in iterative reconstruction algorithms, which require a lot of processing. This is currently developed at ESRF with the open-source PyNX software suite which exploits graphical processing units (GPU) for accelerated reconstructions enabling online data analysis.
You will drive software development to exploit coherent beams at ESRF, notably in the field of holo-tomography or Bragg CDI/Ptychography. The position will present particular challenges in the development of phasing algorithms, data processing and visualization. You will explore new avenues in coherent imaging, e.g. exploiting machine learning or introducing new techniques exploiting the EBS-enhanced coherent photon flux.
The work will take place in the Algorithms & scientific Data Analysis group, in close collaboration with coherent imaging beamlines. Further information about the post can be obtained from Vincent Favre-Nicolin (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Your missions include:
- The development, implementation, and optimisation of novel algorithms and data processing modules with the PyNX software (http://ftp.esrf.fr/pub/scisoft/PyNX/),
- Conduct an original research project exploiting coherent X-ray imaging in collaboration with ESRF beamlines scientists, e.g. with original techniques or algorithms allowing to better exploit the EBS-enhanced coherent photon flux.
- PhD degree or equivalent in Physics, Computer Science, Engineering, Science or similar area
- Extensive programming skills in Python are mandatory, notably for the implementation of optimisation and reconstruction algorithms. GPU programming (CUDA, OpenCL) is a plus
- Synchrotron-based X-ray imaging experience is a strong asset
- A strong background in natural sciences or mathematics is of advantage
- Curiosity and good communication skills are required, so that you may interact with scientists with different techniques and beamlines
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF)
Do you recognize yourself in this description? Apply now for your next professional adventure!
What we offer:
- Be inspired by our innovative research institute, with an international workforce from 38 different countries
- Collaborate with global experts on real-world science
- Come and live in a vibrant city, in the heart of the Alps, and Europe’s Green Capital 2022
- Enjoy a workplace designed to support your quality of life
- Benefit from our competitive compensation and allowances package, including financial support for your relocation to Grenoble
For further information on employment terms and conditions, please refer to https://www.esrf.fr/home/Jobs/what-we-offer.html
The ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from disabled persons.
To apply for this job please visit esrf.gestmax.eu.