Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory’s almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) is seeking an experienced software scientist to join the Scientific Computing & Data Acquisition, Data Management, Data Analysis Group.
This position is needed to support the development and maintenance of a software and infrastructure for data analysis, management and analysis to support the scientific mission of NSLS-II. The main focus will be to develop database and applications to support and develop a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
The successful candidate will work with a team of scientists and engineers to design, develop, and maintain reliable software and infrastructure to enable data acquisition, management and analysis.
Collaborate with beamline scientists to define and implement the best strategies and approaches in data acquisition, scientific data handling, management, visualization, and analysis for the purpose of enhancing scientific productivity and impact at NSLS-II.
The initial focus will be to support and extend the SynchWeb/ISPyB with an initial focus for Structural Biology, Small Angle Scattering and CryoEM with a view to expand to other techniques.
Identifying new requirements, technologies and architectures that will used to support the data management and scientific computing mission of NSLS-II.
Provide documentation, training and support for software and systems.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science. Physical Sciences, Applied Mathematics or related field.
- Minimum of three (3) year of relevant experience.
- Ability to employ sound software engineering methodologies.
- Ability to design scalable and reliable system architectures.
- Demonstrated record in collaborative software development.
- Demonstrated experience in multiple programming languages, including Python.
- Up-to-date knowledge in related scientific data collection, data management, and data analysis concepts.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills to be able to interact effectively with a diverse group of scientists, engineers, and technical staff.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to take ownership of projects and tasks.
- Experience in developing web-based applications
- Experience with Linux operating systems.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in data acquisition and analysis programs at a synchrotron light source, neutron source or other major scientific user facility.
- Experience in developing RESTful APIs
- Experience in user interface development
- Experience working with Messaging Systems
- Experience working with distributed systems
- Experience working with NoSQL databases
- Experience working with Relational databases
- Experience working with containers and related infrastructure
- Experience contributing to open source software projects.
- The position classification offered will be commensurate with the candidate’s depth and breadth of experience.
- The position is a three (3) year term appointment.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.