European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km-long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques.
Our Controls Group is looking for a
Control Software Engineer – Motion Control R&D
The Motion Control Research & Development project aims at increasing feature-richness and improving the user interface of the motion control solutions available for use at the European XFEL. It is a joint project between the EEE and Control groups of the facility (see also E-297). The contribution of the Controls Group to the project focuses on evolving the communication interface to the PLC and its integration into our high-level control system, Karabo. As part of this contribution you will:
- investigate new backend solutions for interfacing in-house developed PLCs with our Control Software System, Karabo
- improve motion control solutions provided to the facility
- enhance the user interface for motion control systems
- collect requirements for the software solutions to be implemented
- contribute to facility-wide tools and enhancements for control software solutions
- participate in support the Data department and its groups give to the facility, such as our Data Operation Center
- academic degree in Computer Science, Physics or equivalent
- strong experience in Python 3.6+ programming and asynchronous software concepts is mandatory
- experience in C++ is considered an asset
- proven experience in motion control interfaces is considered an asset
- experience in the following fields is considered an asset: asynchronous TCP communication, implementation or support of (beamline) software solutions in a SCADA framework such as Karabo, DOOCS, Tango (and derivatives) or EPICS
- good communication skills, especially in terms of communicating technical aspects is a must
- good command of English as a working language is a must
For additional information, please contact Steffen Hauf (email@example.com) .
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers.
Become part of a vibrant international and multi-cultural team of scientists, engineers, technical and administrative staff. Be involved in cutting edge scientific and technical progress, participate in our international networks, and shape your life upon trust based flexible working times and telecommuting options. Experience our atmosphere of tolerance and respect.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme, broad relocation benefits, as well as subsidized job-tickets and meals at our company restaurant. The European XFEL GmbH intends to achieve a widely international staff. Company language is English, non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance.
The appointment is limited to two years.
Please apply online and provide a cover letter next to a CV in English, as well as your work certificates in one single pdf-file.
Applicants with disabilities will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
To apply for this job please visit www.xfel.eu.