Lund University, MAX IV , Controls & IT
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 40 000 students and 7 400 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
MAX IV is a national large-scale research laboratory providing scientists from Sweden and the rest of the world with instruments for research in areas such as materials science, structural biology, chemistry and nanotechnology. Fully developed it will receive more than 2 000 scientists annually. 200 people are currently employed at the MAX IV Laboratory.
The MAX IV Controls and IT team (KITS) deliver solutions to the whole MAX IV organisation in the areas of control system hardware, controls software applications, infrastructure and networking, information management and scientific software. This is a dynamic and highly challenging environment and requires close collaboration with the staff in order to understand the needs and be effective in forming solutions. We are around 35 people in total who work in 5 domains in a well organised and agile way. We hold values of lean management, knowledge spread, user autonomy, continuous improvement and flexibility as guiding principles for our work.
Motivation for the position
Are you the new software developer that will boost research for scientists? Apply your software engineering skills to help exploit the full capabilities of Sweden’s new flagship laboratory. You will have the chance to face new challenges of the synchrotron domain working on the data acquisition system from the very fast detector read out data stream, innovative data viewer, preprocessing and archiving.
By having close contact to the users you will have the opportunity to solve the problem with a new approach, to become involved in writing an interesting paper and to present the work at international conferences.
As a professional you will bridge science and state of the art software development. You will help to maintain a community and support the researcher to be autonomous in software development.
Being part of the KITS group means to participate to different international collaborations about control and acquisition, Scandinavian and European, Scientific or Industrial.
As a team mate you will join a trusted and open team where continuous improvement and mentorship is part of our DNA. In addition you will improve your technique and spread the knowledge on best practices of software development. By using agile and lean management you can stay focused on the software development.
Finally this is the opportunity to learn and to increase your skills, competence and experience. In an international facility such as MAX IV you will meet open minded people from different perspectives.
Inside the KITS group, composed of network, system, hardware engineers and scientific software experts, we promote a devops style cross functional team. With learning in mind you have the possibility to attend high profile software conferences like europycon, scipy, linuxconf…
Tasks and Responsibilities
You are the successful candidate who will be responsible for:
- Developing software projects around the scientific data acquisition: detectors data stream, preprocessing, live view, data and meta storage.
- Implementing solutions with the goal to increase functionality and improve reliability of the experiments to help realise their scientific potential.
- Sensing the User Experience for troubleshooting and finding simple user friendly solutions to complex problems.
- Participating to the team planning and resource estimation as well as improving the group infrastructure.
In order to apply for this position you are required to have a university degree and at least two years professional experience with:
- Dealing with heterogenous detector systems from different vendors
- Python 3 programming
- Linux operating system development but knowledge of Windows technology is also required
- Image processing and 2d detectors such as camera, Data storage and distributed file system
- Git, unit test, CI/CD
- Excellent communication- and team working skills
More merit will be given to a candidate who can demonstrate knowledge in:
- Software paradigms: functional, object, reactive …
- Other programming languages: C, C++14, LUA, GO…
- Electronics: DAC, ADC, CCD, CMOS …
- Parallel Computing such as DASK, OpenCL, GPU or FPGA.
- HDF5 format and tools
- Network and System: TCP/IP, Linux, NFS/GPFS, Infiniband.
Finally it would be appreciated if additionally you have experienced:
- An Open source project collaboration
- A Software development for scientific applications
- An Agile team environment
- Have worked in an international research oriented environment.
|Type of employment||Visstidsanställning längre än 6 månader|
|Contract type||Full time|
|Number of positions||2|
|Working hours||100 %|
|Last application date||30.Jul.2018 11:59 PM CET|
To apply for this job please visit lu.mynetworkglobal.com.