Lunds universitet, MAX IV, Controls & IT
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 40 000 students and 7 600 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
The MAX IV Controls and IT team (KITS) deliver solutions to the whole MAX IV organisation in the areas of control system hardware, controls software applications, infrastructure and networking, information management and scientific software. This is a dynamic and highly challenging environment and requires close collaboration with the staff in order to understand the needs and be effective in forming solutions. We are around 50 people in total who work in 5 domains in a well organised and agile way. We hold values of lean management, knowledge spread, user autonomy, continuous improvement and flexibility as guiding principles for our work.
The main core of MAX IV data analysis needs consists of massive image processing where nowadays machine learning and artificial intelligence (ML & AI) methods are finding superior applications and are developing rapidly. MAX IV is searching for a computer engineer or scientists to be a point of contact for ML & AI application solutions at MAX IV. Beside imaging applications there are opportunities to use ML & AI methods for supporting optimization of the beamline and accelerator operation or supporting the MAX IV user office.
As a member of a forming small team you will participate in developing and supporting scientific software projects for data analysis from new generation light-sources. You will challenge high data rates and large data volumes coming from them. Beside other team members you will work closely together with MAX IV scientists, engineers, users, HPC experts and with MAX IV partners from the Nordic academia, industry and other large-scale facilities.
You will take a key role in the process of deploying ML and AI application solutions into production. In developing ML & AI solutions and supporting data analysis from a wide range of domains you will learn new methods and master applications of the scientific software.
As a member of the large KITS (Controls and IT) team you will develop your agile and team working skills and as a part of MAX IV you will cultivate the MAX IV scientific World.
You are not obligated to develop your own research or software development program, but you are strongly encouraged to keep or develop your projects and collaborations in synergy with MAX IV operation and participate in related experiments in order to connect IT experts and scientists.
- Implementing ML and AI solutions for domain problems in photon science and technology, data preparation, retraining, building, testing, validating and deploying ML models to production
- Extending and developing ML and AI tools for photon science applications
- Supporting MAX IV scientific software
- Master or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, e-Sciences, Mathematics or Physics (suitable also as a junior position).
- Knowledge of fundamentals of Machine and Deep Learning (ML & DL) and Data Science (DS) techniques.
- Demonstrated practical experience in ML and DL applications for image analysis in relation to photon or neutron (PN) sciences (at least on the level of a 0.5 year master degree or scientific project).
- Proficiency in Python, ML and DL frameworks as Caffe or TensorFlow and DS tools as Pandas.
- Experience from experiments at PN facilities including knowledge of data collection technologies at them is a strong asset.
- Proficiency with data containers as HDF5 and experience with massively-parallel and hw-accelerated compute are considered as strong assets.
- Good command of both written and spoken English.
The successful candidate should be flexible, performance oriented, service minded, creative and have an ability to cooperate both within and outside the team.
Collaboration with other facilities and partners may require occasional short international travels.
Probation period may apply.
|Type of employment||Permanent position|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||As per agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
|Working hours||100 %|
|Last application date||02.May.2019 11:59 PM CET|
To apply for this job please visit lu.varbi.com.