Lunds universitet, MAX IV, Controls & IT
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 40 000 students and 7 600 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
MAX IV is a Swedish national large-scale research laboratory hosted by Lund University. It provides scientists from Sweden as well as internationally, with state-of-the-art instrumentation for research in areas such as engineering, physics, structural biology, chemistry and nanotechnology. Fully developed it will receive more than 2 000 scientists annually, conducting ground-breaking experiments in materials and life sciences using the brilliant X-ray light.
The MAX IV Controls and IT team (KITS) deliver solutions to the whole MAX IV organisation in the areas of control system hardware, controls software applications, infrastructure and networking, information management and scientific software. This is a dynamic and highly challenging environment and requires close collaboration with the staff in order to understand the needs and be effective in forming solutions. We are around 50 people in total who work in 5 domains in a well organised and agile way. We hold values of lean management, knowledge spread, user autonomy, continuous improvement and flexibility as guiding principles for our work.
Are you our new software developer who will boost research for scientists? Do you want to apply your software engineering skills to help exploiting the full capabilities of Sweden’s new flagship laboratory? Are you interested in developing the next generation of data acquisition platform?
Then this is the right job for you!
In an international facility such as MAX IV you will meet open minded people from different perspectives. You will join a trusted and open team where continuous improvement and mentorship is part of our DNA. You will have the opportunity to face new challenges of the synchrotron domain working on the data acquisition system for the very fast detector read out data stream, innovative data viewer, preprocessing and data storage. In addition, you will improve your technique and spread the knowledge on best practices of software development. By using agile and lean management you can stay focused on the software development. There will be good chances to get more insight into the scientific computing and analysis part of the project.
Tasks and Responsibilities
You will be responsible for:
• Developing the scientific data acquisition platform for MAX IV such as detectors data stream, preprocessing, data and metadata storage
• Understanding and spreading the knowledge on data formats, data manipulation and on-the-fly processing
• The use of Parallel processing techniques in order to profit from the dedicated cluster (container based)
• Delivering live data to multiple data consumers
• Automating the data curation
• Participating in the team planning and resource estimation as well as improving the group infrastructure. Overall your job will roughly consist of 95% development software and 5% knowledge dissemination, either within the team or attending international conferences.
In order to apply for this position, you are required to have a university degree and at least two years of professional experience with:
• Software Architecture
• Python 3 programming
• Linux operating system development.
• Data manipulation, Image and Signal processing.
• Git, unit test, CI/CD.
It is a merit if you also are able to demonstrate experience in:
• 2D detectors
• Software paradigms: functional, object, reactive …
• Other programming languages: C, C++14, LUA, RUST…
• Network programming: socket, 0MQ, web sockets, data streaming
• Parallel and accelerators computing such as Dask, OpenCL, GPU or FPGA.
• Container orchestration usage.
Additional merit will be given if you can demonstrate participation in:
• An Open source project collaboration.
• An Agile team environment.
• Working in an international research-oriented environment.
In addition to the above it is regarded as highly important to supply evidence that you can use initiative and able to cooperate and your skills are performance oriented, quality conscious and creative.
This two-year temporary position is financed under the 5 years “DataSTaMP” project by the Knut och Alice Wallenbergs foundation.
|Type of employment||Visstidsanställning längre än 6 månader|
|Contract type||Full time|
|Number of positions||1|
|Last application date||03.Mar.2020 11:59 PM CET|
To apply for this job please visit lu.varbi.com.