Job ID 3026
Date posted 02/18/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health.
NSLS-II is seeking an exceptional candidate to contribute to a multi-disciplinary project where they will build a Data repository working with BNL, participating universities and other partners to design, develop, and implement a data repository solution to facilitate data sharing and enhance coordination across the center.
The candidate will work closely with the C2QA Center’s Cross-cutting co-design team, Thrust Leaders and NIST partners to coordinate project milestones and deliverables. You will be based at BNL and part of National Synchrotron Light Source II’s Data Science and Systems Integration (DSSI) Program, which provide supports and expertise to meet the scientific computing needs of the NSLS-II
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Spearhead a focused effort to develop a user-friendly data management tool/database which will be used by center members to support data sharing, coordination and collaboration
- Collaborate with the Center’s scientists to identify and implement strategies for data handling, sharing, management and analysis
- Provide documentation, training and support for the database and software solutions developed.
- Collaborate with NIST partners to develop the public facing interface for the data repository
- Develop protocols and tools for data validation and publication
- Bachelor’s or higher level degree in Computer Science, Physical Sciences, Applied Mathematics or related field and a minimum of three (3) years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated experience of data and code management best practices
- Ability to implement agile software engineering methodologies
- Experience in collaborative development of software and cloud infrastructure, especially in distributed teams.
- Demonstrated experience in multiple programming languages, including Python and script
- Excellent communication skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (experience in one or more of the following):
- Software design, development and deployment with version control
- Working with NoSQL and/or Relational databases
- Use of infrastructure systems (storage, networked accessible systems, collaborative tools)
- Containerized development and deployment (e.g. AWS, Docker)
- Design and use of standard APIs
- Developing training resources, including documentation, manuals, and tutorials of software tools for users.
- Providing user support (i.e. center members)
- Experience with Linux operating systems.
Other information: Candidate will be placed at appropriate level contingent upon depth and breadth of experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis).
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees. Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required at the start of your employment.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.