European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km-long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques.
- Develop and apply machine-learning and GPU-based algorithms for online data analysis and tuning of X-ray experiments at the MID instrument of European XFEL
- Take part of in-house research programs and external user experiments, provide data analysis solutions, training, and software tools
- Act as contact between data science and experimental groups
- Interact closely with other data scientists at European XFEL
- Contribute to scientific output such as written or oral presentations
- PhD degree in computer science, physics or equivalent
- Very good knowledge of Python and/or C++
- Solid understanding of machine learning and other advanced mathematics methods
- Further additions are considered an asset
- Familiarity with software development exploiting GPUs
- Demonstrated ability in handling of large data volumes and data streams
- Experience with X-rays or scattering experiments
For additional information, please contact Luca Gelisio (email@example.com) .
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers.
Become part of a vibrant international and multi-cultural team of scientists, engineers, technical and administrative staff. Be involved in cutting edge scientific and technical progress and participate in our international networks. Experience our atmosphere of tolerance and respect.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany, this includes for example:
- family friendly working environment (e.g. additional childcare days)
- flexible working times and option for work from home depending on tasks
- 30 days of vacation, 24th and 31st of December are free as a courtesy of the employer
- extensive relocation benefits
- generous company pension scheme (6,45% of monthly salary)
- monthly social events and subsidized company restaurant
- partially financed job-tickets for public transportation
- extensive training opportunities incl. subsidized English and German language classes
Among our international staff, our company language is English.
This appointments are initially limited to 2 years. An extension might be possible subject to a later decision.
Please apply online and provide a motivation letter and your CV in English as well as reference letters in one single pdf-file.
The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and we promote and support diverse and heterogenous teams. Applicants with disabilities will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants.
To apply for this job please visit www.xfel.eu.