- Job title: Detector Engineer
- Ref.: COD/DDP1
- Contract type: Time-limited contract
- Salary range: 36-45K€
- Contract duration: Up to 3 years
CONTEXT & JOB DESCRIPTION
The ESRF is running an ambitious programme aimed at the development of two new high performance 2D hybrid pixel detector systems optimised for the new generation high-brilliance synchrotron radiation sources such as EBS, “Extremely Brilliant source” (https://ebs.esrf.fr/about-us). You will be deeply involved in the R&D studies towards the development of these new X-ray detectors and will integrate a team of scientists and engineers specialized in X-ray detection, electronics and software and collaborate with other research laboratories, academic and industrial partners at an international level. The duties of these two positions include:
- Evaluation of novel readout schemes and architectures to be implemented in the new detectors by means of experimental measurements and simulations
- Interaction with internal microelectronics partners to evaluate the new readout chips
- Implementation of specific characterization and data analysis methods
- Evaluation of the detector prototypes using synchrotron beams and conventional X-ray sources
- Investigation and quantification of the operating limitations of the detectors
- Participation in the definition and architectural design of the complete detector systems.
- PhD and/or a higher university degree (Master or equivalent diploma offering 300 ECTS) in physics, electronics or closely related area
- Strong background in solid state detection, particle or X-rays, and some experience with pixelated semiconductor detectors
- Experience in experimental physics and knowledge of X-ray sources and associated equipment (lab instrumentation, radioactive sources)
- Competence in scientific programming (Python) is an asset
- Strong interpersonal skills and team spirit, with ability to work in diverse, international and multi-disciplinary teams
- Good documentation, organisation and analytical skills and flexibility
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF)
We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your quality of life and your installation in the Grenoble area when relocation is needed. The monthly salary may be complemented by additional allowances upon eligibility (expatriation allowance, etc.).
The European Synchrotron, the ESRF, is an international research centre based in Grenoble, France.
Through its innovative engineering, pioneering scientific vision and a strong commitment from its 700 staff members, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research facilities worldwide. Its particle accelerator produces intense X-ray beams that are used by thousands of scientists each year for experiments in diverse fields such as biology, medicine, environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials science, and physics.
Supported by 22 countries, the ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
To apply for this job please visit esrf.gestmax.eu.