This position is for a mid-to high-level electrical engineer to lead the electrical aspects of the removal of existing accelerator components and the installation of new ones. This Electrical Removal and Installation (R&I) lead engineer will develop, plan and execute the electrical engineering aspects of the removal and installation effort. In addition, to develop executable plans for the R&I effort, electrical integration is an important aspect of this position. You will work closely with the R&I overall task lead and the Mechanical R&I Lead engineer to develop detailed planning of the installation and testing sequence and will coordinate closely with the ALS-U technical design teams, ALS operations, LBNL’s Facilities and Environmental Health & Safety Divisions.
The candidate will have a broad background in electrical engineering, particularly with large-scale system installation including high power electrical systems. The candidate would have practical hands-on experience working with diverse stakeholders as the effort requires interfacing with various stakeholders and contractors to ensure code compliance.
What You Will Do:
- Work with Accelerator Engineering leads to integrate the R&I objectives into the design effort to simplify and optimize the installation.
- Develop the electrical installation plans by developing an integrated engineering design using input from the technical subsystems.
- Serve as lead electrical engineer and Point Of Contact (POC) for all electrical R&I issues by providing direction and guidance to the small removal and installation engineering team or contractor team (design and execution).
- Collaborate across diverse technical fields (accelerator physics, magnet design, controls, facilities engineering) to collect specifications and requirements for the installation tasks.
- Owner of electrical aspects of accelerator cabling removal and installation plans including general supervision of field service contractors and electrical workers. Oversee the development of the cable plant, cable inventory, and cable installation and termination (AC, experimental equipment, signal and network cables)
- Develop documentation including assembly schematics, drawings, work instructions, and check-lists to provide clear guidelines for the removal and installation crews.
- Develop project scope and estimate related logistics, e.g. cost estimates and assembly/installation timelines.
- Participate in developing electrical safety procedures for high voltage, current, and/or energy devices.
- Develop a detailed electrical installation plan in collaboration with a large General Contractor to be executed in ALS long downtime (Dark Time).
What is Required:
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Engineering Physics, or related field or equivalent experience. Typically 5+ years of relevant experience for a level 3 appointment and 8+ years for a level 4 appointment.
- Demonstrated experience in electrical engineering integration, such as in large-scale electrical installations and/or operations or maintenance of large facilities, industrial installation, or complex electro-mechanical machines.
- Demonstrated strong background and skill base in electrical engineering, including ability to exercise sound engineering judgment and analysis, and strong written and verbal technical communication skills.
- Experience in managing projects of various scales, including leading and supervising others effectively in a team environment.
- Organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple competing priorities and projects.
- Experience with CAD tools for schematic capture and modeling or engineering programming tools
- M.S. or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of electrical codes and electrical safety such as National Electrical Code (NEC), Lock Out/Tag Out (LOTO) and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 70E.
- Adaptability and desire to learn new skills and technologies.
- CAD experience (electrical and mechanical)
- This is a full-time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- This position will be hired at a level commensurate with the business needs and the skills, knowledge, and abilities of the successful candidate.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Based on University of California Policy – SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof that vaccination requirements have been met or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links: Know your rights, click here for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4.
To apply for this job please visit lbl.referrals.selectminds.com.