Job ID 2929
Date posted 03/07/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health
The Electrical Engineer, AC Power Systems will supply electrical engineering resources to design, manage construction, and develop comprehensive maintenance programs for the Electrical Utilities systems in the NSLS-II complex.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Utilize new or improved engineering techniques and procedures to design, manage construction, and develop comprehensive maintenance programs for Electrical Utilities area for NSLS II.
- The candidate will report to the head of the Electrical Engineering Group.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BS Degree in Electrical Engineering and minimum of seven (7) years of experience in design AC power distribution systems.
- Experience in the following:
- managing installation of AC power distribution systems for large industrial facilities.
- developing a comprehensive maintenance program for AC power systems and/or industrial type equipment.
- use of Industrial Cooling Systems for electronic equipment or similar devices.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with a diverse group of scientist and technical staff.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (experience in one or more of the following):
- At least 10 years Electrical Utilities systems.
- Using the codes NFPA 70, NFPA 70E, NFPA 70B and OSHA requirements for industrial facilities.
- Working in a National Lab facility with large experimental equipment.
- Knowledge in reliability and maintenance criteria as it pertains to electrical distribution equipment.
- Knowledge of water to air temperature heat exchangers and their controls used in a particle accelerator.
- Technical writing skills and the use of spreadsheets.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to climb ladders; occasional lifting of up to 30lbs
- Ability to work long hours
- Candidate will be hired at the appropriate level commensurate with depth and breadth of experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Table Tennis, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees.Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required at the start of your employment.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees. Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required at the start of your employment.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.