DESY, with its 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world’s leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
PETRA IV is the upgrade of the existing PETRA III synchrotron radiation user facility into a diffraction limited storage ring and a corner stone of DESYs photon science strategy. The new accelerator chain and storage ring will consist of several hundreds of electromagnets which all have to be characterised before they can be used for the facility. For this we are looking for an Electrical Engineer / Applied Physicist for Magnetic Measurements.
- Development of magnetic measurement techniques for accelerator magnets
- Evaluation of the measurement techniques/set-ups for the PETRA IV project
- Development of a magnet alignment strategy in cooperation with the survey group
- Responsible for the hard- and software of prototype measurement test stands
- Supervision of the test measurements of the PETRA IV prototype magnets
- Deputy work package leader
- Master or PhD in electrical engineering, computer engineering or applied physics or equivalent qualification
- Several years of experience in measurement technology or sensor development
- Good knowledge of data acquisition and analysis
- Experience with magnetic measurements of accelerator magnets is an asset
- Knowledge of magnet simulations with eg. EM-STUDIO or OPERA is an asset
- Knowledge of accelerator physics is an asset
- Knowledge of LabVIEW, Python or MATLAB is an asset
- Good knowledge of English is mandatory, knowledge of German is a plus
For further information please contact Matthias Thede at 040-8998-2941.
The position is limited to 3 years.
Salary and benefits are commensurate with those of public service organisations in Germany. Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. Persons with disabilities will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. DESY operates flexible work schemes. DESY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women. Vacant positions at DESY are in general open to part-time-work. During each application procedure DESY will assess whether the post can be filled with part-time employees.
To apply for this job please visit www.desy.de.