ALBA is the national synchrotron light source, a large research infrastructure based on an electron synchrotron, ten operating beamlines, three more under construction, and complementary facilities. The light produced by 3 GeV electrons is used by thousands of researchers to analyze and understand the properties of matter, covering a huge variety of fields, as health, energy production and storage, environmental problems, communication technologies, cultural heritage.
ALBA is facing the evolution towards the 4th generation, which will produce a more brilliant and coherent source, new beamlines, advanced data analytics, all together enhancing the facility capacities of providing answers to societal challenges.
Located in Cerdanyola del Vallès (Barcelona, Spain), it is funded by the Spanish Government (Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación) and the Catalan Government (Generalitat de Catalunya, Departament d’Empresa i Coneixement).
ALBA is a perfect spot to promote your professional career: international atmosphere, highly motivated staff, multidisciplinary environment and located in a natural park, well connected by car and public transport.
The Electronics Section, consisting of 18 staff members, designs and operates the hardware for the synchrotron’s control systems, data acquisition and it is responsible of the power supplies of the accelerators and the beamlines. In addition, the section provides electronic design support to various sub-groups within the organization.
We are looking for an Electronics Engineer eager to learn and take on new challenges who will contribute to:
- Participate in the design, construction, test and commissioning of new designs of power converters.
- Upgrades and support to the operation of the accelerator control hardware.
- Upgrades and support to either operative or new beamlines.
- New instrumentation developments.
- Maintain, test and troubleshoot the power converters used to supply the electromagnets of the accelerator.
- Formal Education
- University degree in Electronics engineering, Telecommunications engineering or other discipline of proven similar technological capacities. Last year students (ECTS credits approved 180) will be also considered and shall attach their academic Transcript of Records (ToR).
- Knowledge in generic Electronics instrumentation: oscilloscopes, voltmeters, ammeters… and Data acquisition systems (DAQ)
- Knowledge and previous experience in switching mode power supplies design and/or maintenance will be specially valued. In particular:
- Power converter topologies: Rectifier, DC-DC Buck.
- Power switching modules like IGBTs, thyristors and MOSFETs.
- Power converter control techniques.
- Knowledge and previous experience in the following fields will be valued:
- Specific scientific electronics instrumentation: low level acquisitions (electrometers, nano-voltmeters), insulation measurements or impedance characterization (Network, Analyzer, TDR, LCR).
- PCB circuit design (Altium Designer preferably).
- VHDL FPGA programming (Xilinx preferably).
- Motion Control applications (specially using stepper motors).
- Previous experience working in an accelerator or similar scientific institution will be an asset. Experience working in R+D electronics department will be also considered.
- Good team player.
- A good level of English both written and spoken is required.
Come and join us!
This position is reserved for those candidates having the legal status of persons with disabilities with a degree of disability equal or greater than 33%. If there are no applicants with disabilities that meet the requirements of the position, the rest of the applicants without declared disability will be evaluated.
To apply for this job please visit public.cells.es.