Diamond currently has a vacancy for a partially qualified Level 3 Engineering Technician Apprentice who is currently undertaking an apprenticeship following the Engineering Technician standard or equivalent Engineering / Technical apprenticeship standard. The vacancy will enable an apprentice who is currently undertaking an apprenticeship but who does not have an employer or is unable to continue due to global and/or economic circumstances outside of their control, to complete their apprenticeship with Diamond.
As one of the most advanced scientific facilities in the world, we provide the opportunity to work and learn within an exciting and unique working environment with a vast array of scientific research that really does make a difference in shaping and changing the world and our understanding of it.
Our Technicians are a critical, vital and integral part of Diamond and the work that is undertaken here. The multi-disciplined approach means you will spend your time learning the essential skills of electrical, electronic and mechanical engineering.
Successful completion of the programme leads to a Level 3 Advanced Engineering Apprenticeship which follows the Product Design and Development Technician apprentice standard. As an Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) Approved Scheme, you will also have the opportunity to become professionally registered as an EngTech with the IET.
You will undertake comprehensive on the job training across a variety of placements on site gaining hands-on-experience in Mechanical Assembly and Fitting, Electrical Assembly and Testing, Vacuum Engineering, CNC and Machining, Motion Controls and Engineering Office Design Practice.
The role will have the following responsibilities:
- Mechanical and electrical assembly and installation of bespoke, prototype, high-tech equipment
- Work on electro-mechanical aspects of the scientific instrumentation including: racks and field equipment and installation of motors and electrical sensors for items such as vacuum, pneumatics, water flow and temperature monitoring
- Assembling, testing, maintaining and upgrading existing beamline equipment
- Assisting in design, installation and commissioning of further specialist beamline equipment
- General work, including electrical cabling, designing and building simple mechanical devices
- Assisting Diamond scientists with user experiments
- Carry out regular inspection of installed equipment to comply with safety regulations
- Competence to undertake mechanical and electrical / electronic fault finding
- Ensuring that all work is carried out safely and using the correct processes
- Work with little or no supervision; relying on own initiative
- Diagnose and rectify faults on a range of circuits and equipment
- Write reports
Key personal attributes:
- the ability to follow technical drawings and instructions
- a methodical approach to work and using own initiative
- an ability to pay close attention to detail
- the ability to work unsupervised and as part of a team
- good communication skills
- an interest in science and technology and a commitment to keep up to date with industry developments
- good practical skills to work with hand and power tools
- good IT knowledge
- a thorough understanding of safety rules and regulations
Qualifications required: you must have achieved 5 GCSE’s at grade C or 4/5 and above, including English, Maths and a Science subject (or equivalent qualification). You must also be working towards or have successfully completed the apprenticeship Foundation Competence, Level 2 Diploma in Engineering and the first year of apprenticeship Development Knowledge as part of a level 3 Diploma in Engineering.
Special requirement: you must be able to make your own travel arrangements to Diamond (at the Harwell Campus) and to the relevant training centre.
Starting salary: will depend on year of entry. As an example, £13,212 per annum is the salary if transferring into the second year. Our apprenticeship salaries are increased annually, and the salary offered will be adjusted in line with the number of years of apprenticeship completed and relevant experience obtained.
This role does not meet the required skill level for a Tier 2 work visa and therefore we would be unable to sponsor individuals due to the current Home Office rules. To be appointed to the role, candidates will need to have the right to work in the UK without sponsorship from us.
To apply for this job please visit vacancies.diamond.ac.uk.