Job ID; 2641
Date posted; 04/30/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health.
The NSLS-II is seeking a well-organized and dedicated engineer to assist NSLS-II staff in the acquisition and use of mission critical business software for the world leading NSLS-II facility. This work will include support of existing business software, and identification and roll-out of new software to support the mission.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Analyze vendor proposals, evaluate build versus buy, formulate and execute implementation plan
- Effective communication of highly technical information to numerous audiences, including senior management, internal customers, the user community, and junior staff.
- Evaluate and select tools necessary to build and support software systems.
- Tracking of commercial software licenses, and asset tracking
- Coordinate and negotiate with vendors and interact with ITD and Cybersecurity to ensure alignment with BNL and ITD policies and integrates with NSLS-II systems.
- Small coding projects; build and conduct tests, and track project progress.
- Support to staff for MS online tools (365, Azure, etc)
- Zoom, Virtual Platform Team Support
- Assistance with SharePoint and Doc Center tasks, including migration, uploading, storing, searching, etc.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BA/BS Degree or equivalent experience, preferably in Computer Science or related discipline, and at least three years of relevant experience.
- Ability to write scripts (e.g. Powershell, Bash, Python, etc) in order to automate and integrate various systems together.
- Expert knowledge of MS 365.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience aligning application development with business needs.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Collaboration and effective communication skills.
- Experience with cloud platforms.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BS or higher level degree in Computer Science, and at least five years of related experience.
- Experience developing partnerships with senior users to understand business needs and define future application requirements.
- Technical expertise and experience supporting multiple complex technology projects.
- Experience in SharePoint and ServiceNow.
- Experience in cyber security best practices.
- Candidate will be placed at appropriate level contingent upon depth and breadth of experience.
- BNL will not sponsor a visa for this position.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.