Website Advanced Light Source (ALS)
In this exciting role, you will participate in a collaborative effort with scientists from the CXRO, TMF and MBIB to develop a new innovative soft X-ray characterization method at the ALS. The goal is to demonstrate a revolutionary scheme for soft XAS in an ultra-high-throughput fashion, so that the XAS spectra can be recorded under a single-shot of X-rays with wide spectral bandwidth. You will perform experiments to demonstrate the ultra-high-throughput screening for materials discovery, the measurement of multiple chemical sites simultaneously for chemical dynamics, and an experimental database for ML training for materials discovery.
What You Will Do:
- Lead the FAST-XAS development with the LDRD collaborating scientists for the XAS and RIXS instrumentation, experimental planning, data acquisition and data analysis.
- Participate in performing forefront scientific research in synchrotron experimental study of materials science, with emphasis on the use of soft x-ray absorption spectroscopy (XAS) and resonant inelastic soft x-ray scattering (RIXS) techniques and instrumentation.
- Participation in implementation of RIXS spectrometer for soft x-ray spectroscopy experiments.
- Participate in the experimental program at XAS and RIXS beamlines the associated endstations.
- Collaborate with the scientists, engineers and technical support staff at the ALS to perform planned experiments.
- Adherence to environment, safety, and health policies and procedures.
- Disseminate experimental and research results via publications in refereed journals; present results via oral presentations at scientific meetings, conferences and peer reviews.
- Commitment to safe working practices. Ensure that self and beamline users are trained in accordance with relevant ES&H regulations.
- Maintain current knowledge of and implement applicable policies and regulations, including LBNL and ALS Conduct of Operations and Quality Assurance policies and procedures.
What is Required:
- Demonstrated experience with synchrotron based soft x-ray spectroscopy techniques and instrumentation applied to the study of electronic properties of materials.
- Solid knowledge of electronic structure and property and materials as well as a thorough understanding of characterization techniques and instrumentation.
- Demonstrated experience to pursue new areas of materials and chemical science research involving sophisticated instrumentation including ultrahigh vacuum, x-ray photons and charged particle detection.
- Experience in thin film deposition technology or liquid flow delivery (liquid jet or microfluidics).
- Experience in computing, data acquisition and analysis, and machine learning.
- Be independent, innovative and able to carry out an experiment from initiation to meaningful conclusion in collaboration with a team of scientists and technical support staff.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ph.D. or equivalent in Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science or Engineering.
- This is a full-time 1 year postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 4 years years of paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.ion:
- This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
- Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
To apply for this job please visit lbl.referrals.selectminds.com.