- Data Scientist
- Full Time
- Didcot, Oxfordshire, UK (Europe)
Website DiamondLightSou Diamond Light Source
- JD – Group Leader Data Analysis.docx
- JD – Head of Scientific Software (1).docx
- PS – Group Leader Data Analysis.doc
- PS – Head of Scientific Software.doc
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. By accelerating electrons to near light-speed, Diamond generates brilliant beams of light from infra-red to X-rays which are used for academic and industry research and development across a range of scientific disciplines including structural biology, physics, chemistry, materials science, engineering, earth, and environmental sciences.
About the Role
We now have an opportunity for a Data Analysis Group Leader to play an important role in the realisation of the future vision of Diamond. Our organisation underpins research and innovation for more than 8000 scientists, with over 90 research organisations already utilising its unique services.
Development of science technology proceeds at a blistering, relentless pace and requires cutting edge scientific software solutions to facilitate this critical work. With increasingly large and complex data sets and increasing use of correlative analysis it is essential that we enhance our data reduction and analysis solutions to fully support both current and future needs, enabling new science opportunities coming from the development and application of AI and ML techniques.
This role will see you carrying out aspects of scientific engagement, staff management, software project management, and giving leadership to meet overall business objectives. In the wider sense, you’ll work with the IT team and scientists in order to establish performance requirements and support the operation of the facility.
For candidates with the ability to provide strategic leadership and management of scientific software, the role may be available with greater responsibilities and a higher grade as Head of Scientific Software.
Further responsibilities will include:
- Leading and managing the Diamond Data analysis group in close collaboration with the relevant support groups in Diamond, in particular data acquisition and controls.
- Providing the lead in the development, implementation, and management of a medium-term strategic software development plan for data analysis in collaboration with beamline scientists and the relevant support groups.
- Taking responsibility for monitoring and reporting of Group progress, providing regular reports showing progress against outstanding milestones, status, resource requirements, issues, and risks.
- Providing a specialist technical advisory/support function within area of expertise.
- Taking full responsibility for the architecture, design, code, test, deployment, documentation, and support of appropriate software systems.
- Budget management.
Further responsibility for consideration as Head of Scientific Software would include:
- Leading the development of strategy and forward vision for scientific software to support the science programme.
- Providing strategic leadership and vision for scientific computing hardware.
You should hold a First Degree in a suitable STEM subject with experience in experimental science.
You should also demonstrate experience in:
- Modern software project management techniques and tools
- Object orientated languages such as Java, C, C++ and Python.
- Interacting with scientists to gather software requirements and interests and building coherent lists for their delivery.
For consideration as Head of Scientific Software, you will also require experience in HPC and/or HTC hardware, and optimisation of hardware for scientific computing applications.
Diamond offers an exceptional benefits package to support staff in achieving a positive work/life balance. This includes 25 days annual leave plus 13 days of statutory and company holidays and 2 annual volunteering days, along with flexible working hours and an excellent pension scheme. Staff also have access to a range of amenities on site including a nursery, cafes, a restaurant and sports and leisure facilities. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
Please use the online application process to apply and tell us why you believe you are suitable for this role.
The initial closing date for applications is 18th June and interviews will be taking place on 27th June 2023.
Where relevant, and possible for the role, we will consider flexible working arrangements, secondment and job share opportunities.
Diamond attract talented individuals from around the world and currently employ 44 different nationalities. Reflecting trends in our sector we employ more men than women (77% men and 23% women as at March 2021). Therefore, we particularly welcome applications from suitably qualified women.
If you are disabled and would like to be considered under the Disability Confident Scheme, please let us know via the online application process.
Diamond are members of Working Families (the UK’s work-life balance organisation), we have also achieved the Athena SWAN Bronze award and Disability Confident Level Two.
To apply for this job please visit vacancies.diamond.ac.uk.