- Job title: Head of Software Group
- Contract type: Permanent contract
- Salary range:43.5 K€ minimum
- Publication start on Front Office : Site internet:06/11/2023
CONTEXT & JOB DESCRIPTION
The Software Group of the ESRF comprises ~40 engineers and technicians in charge of developing and maintaining software solutions for the ESRF’s particle accelerator complex and experimental stations (beamlines). The group is organised into three specialised units for accelerator control, beamline control and data automation.
Your primary mission is the management of the Software Group, including:
- Organising and overseeing the daily operation of the group and coordinating efficient resource allocation (both human and financial)
- Providing high quality software support for the accelerator complex and experimental stations (beamlines)
- Devising and implementing a multi-annual strategy for software developments at ESRF
- Promoting ESRF activities in software development through participation in international collaborations, conferences and publications
As Head of the Software Group, you will report directly to the Head of the Instrumentation Support and Development Division (ISDD). Nevertheless, this position also involves continuous interaction and collaboration with key actors from all Divisions throughout the facility. In particular, your main tasks will involve:
- Resource management: project assignment, recruitment, skills development and training plans, conflict management;
- Budget management: Review financial information, coordinate calls for tender, plan and oversee investments, provide regular progress reports;
- Project management: define requirements, perform functional and detailed analyses, coordinate complex projects and review reports as well as contributing technical expertise;
- Stimulate technical exchanges within the group, promote constructive exchange and drive collective key objectives;
- Interact and liaise with internal departments, employees, suppliers and/or external partners to identify future needs for scientific instrumentation;
- Investigate and foster collaborative opportunities for ESRF and transfer of technology / knowledge. Represent and promote the Group / ESRF at conferences, events and in strategic collaborations.
- You should hold a higher university degree (Master or equivalent diploma offering 300 ECTS) in computer science or related field
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in managing projects or teams
- Experience in software design, object programming paradigms in Java and Python languages
- This managerial position requires excellent communication and leadership skills, decision-making, self-confidence and an ability to take initiative and provide imaginative guidance
- Good understanding of large-scale software needs for scientific applications
- Ability to identify and resolve conflict autonomously and with diplomacy
- Proficiency in English (working language at ESRF)
The salary will be calculated on the basis of relevant qualifications and professional experience.
Do you recognize yourself in this description? Apply now for your next professional adventure!
What we offer:
- Join an innovative international research institute, with a workforce from 38 different countries
- Collaborate with global experts to advance science and address societal challenges
- Come and live in a vibrant city, in the heart of the Alps, and Europe’s Green Capital 2022
- Enjoy a workplace designed to support your quality of life
- Benefit from our competitive compensation and allowances package, including financial support for your relocation to Grenoble
For further information on employment terms and conditions, please refer to https://www.esrf.fr/home/Jobs/what-we-offer.html
The ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from disabled persons.
The European Synchrotron, the ESRF, is an international research centre based in Grenoble, France.
Through its innovative engineering, pioneering scientific vision and a strong commitment from its 700 staff members, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research facilities worldwide. Its particle accelerator produces intense X-ray beams that are used by thousands of scientists each year for experiments in diverse fields such as biology, medicine, environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials science, and physics.
Supported by 21 countries, the ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
To apply for this job please visit esrf.gestmax.eu.