The Instrumentation Services and Development Division (ISDD) is one of the 5 Divisions composing the ESRF. Its role is to provide support and R&D services to the divisions in charge of the particle accelerator complex (Accelerator & Source Division) and of the experimental stations (Experiments Division). The ISDD contributes to the leadership of the ESRF in X-ray instrumentation through its R&D programmes embedded in a long-term strategy and by monitoring technology developments worldwide. It comprises 5 Groups covering a range of technical expertise (Mechanical Engineering, Detector & Electronics, etc.), a dozen laboratories and about 160 staff members. The breadth, complexity and variety of activities and projects requires long-term vision, careful project and resource management, as well as international collaborations with academic and industrial partners.
As Head of Division, you will report to the Director General and your missions will be the following:
- Represent the ISDD on the Board of Directors and contribute to the definition of the ESRF strategy
- Manage and coordinate the Division’s staff, activities and budget in line with the ESRF strategy and policies
- Collaborate with the Directors and Heads of the other Divisions to ensure smooth cooperation of teams and consistent practices
- Ensure the direct supervision of the 5 Group Heads and Head of the Instrumentation Beamline Facility, the Planning & Project Coordination team, and 2 Assistants
- Strengthen project management culture along with the Group Heads and Planning & Project Coordination team
- Promote and represent the ESRF in international events (conferences, workshops, etc.)
- PhD in a scientific field
- Substantial experience (at least 15 years) working in a synchrotron facility
- Broad management experience including management of teams, projects and activities
- Excellent interpersonal skills, leadership, ability to drive changes with assertiveness and diplomacy, to foster collaborative practices, and to develop customer-orientation for internal support
- Strong communication skills and good proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF) are essential. Knowledge of French would be a plus.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your quality of life and your installation in the Grenoble area when relocation is needed.
The monthly salary may be complemented by additional allowances upon eligibility (expatriation allowance, etc.).
The employment contract is permanent, the appointment on the position is for a period of 5 years and renewable.
To apply for this job please visit esrf.gestmax.eu.