Website esrfsynchrotron The European Synchrotron (ESRF)
- Job title: Head of the Radio Frequency group
- Ref.: 23-15-P-ASD-RF
- Contract type: Permanent contract
- Salary range: 50,7 K€ minimum
- Publication start on Front Office : Site internet: 29/03/2023
CONTEXT & JOB DESCRIPTION
The Accelerator and Source Division (ASD) operates an accelerator complex with a 6 GeV electron storage ring, which is the source of the X-rays that are exploited on the experimental stations. In 2020, the ESRF has commissioned a new ultra-low emittance ring that constitutes the world’s first high energy 4th generation synchrotron light source – Extremely Brilliant Source (EBS) of hard X-rays.
As part of the ASD, the Radio Frequency (RF) group is responsible for the 200 MeV pre-Injector Linac, the 352 MHz RF cavities of the booster and the storage ring with their high power RF transmitters, as well as the pulsed magnets and power supplies of the beam injection/extraction systems.
The RF group comprises five units with a total of 17 collaborators.
As Head of the Radio Frequency group, you will be in charge of the following:
- Manage the group including the anticipation of recruitments
- Supervise the operation, maintenance, follow up and upgrading of the Linac, RF and pulsed magnet systems in order to guarantee a safe and reliable operation of the accelerator complex
- Carry out a technological watch on worldwide R&D
- Propose, setup and follow up R&D projects to keep the ESRF at the forefront of accelerator technology
- Pursue and successfully conclude all ongoing projects: replacement of 1.1 MW klystron transmitters by ten 110 kW solid state amplifiers, implementation of a 4th harmonic RF system for bunch lengthening, improvement of the pulsed magnet systems in order to minimize the injection perturbations of the stored beam, refurbishment of the Linac.
- Establish and follow up the yearly budget for the RF group
- Promote worldwide technical and scientific exchange and collaborations within the accelerator community
- Higher university degree (Engineering, Master or equivalent 300 ECTS diploma)
- A minimum of 10 years expertise in high power system engineering, including safety aspects as well as large systems’ control
- Experience in building up and operating high-power RF systems
- Sound management experience including the supervision of large projects in the accelerator field or equivalent
- Ability to carry out measurements and diagnostics on complex low and high power equipment
- Ability to draw up technical specifications, scientific reports and make oral presentations in English (working language at the ESRF)
- Team work capability and a natural competence based authority are essential to manage a team of experts as the ESRF RF group
- Ability to communicate and cooperate with other groups in ASD and other ESRF divisions
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF)
Permanent contract. Part of your work could be carried out in shifts, following ESRF regulations.
The salary will be calculated on the basis of relevant qualifications and professional experience.
Do you recognize yourself in this description? Apply now for your next professional adventure!
What we offer:
- Join an innovative international research institute, with a workforce from 38 different countries
- Collaborate with global experts to advance science and address societal challenges
- Come and live in a vibrant city, in the heart of the Alps, and Europe’s Green Capital 2022
- Enjoy a workplace designed to support your quality of life
- Benefit from our competitive compensation and allowances package, including financial support for your relocation to Grenoble
For further information on employment terms and conditions, please refer to https://www.esrf.fr/home/Jobs/what-we-offer.html
The ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from disabled persons.
The European Synchrotron, the ESRF, is an international research centre based in Grenoble, France.
Through its innovative engineering, pioneering scientific vision and a strong commitment from its 700 staff members, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research facilities worldwide. Its particle accelerator produces intense X-ray beams that are used by thousands of scientists each year for experiments in diverse fields such as biology, medicine, environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials science, and physics.
Supported by 21 countries, the ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
To apply for this job please visit esrf.gestmax.eu.