European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km-long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques.
At the High-Energy-Density instrument (HED) extreme states of matter are investigated with the goal to decipher the physical properties under a wide range of dense and hot conditions, which in turn will deepen our understanding of astrophysical objects and phenomena as well as the dynamic processes in dense plasmas. The instrument offers a variety of X-ray diagnostics and techniques together with powerful drivers including a high-energy 100J laser system for dynamic compression and an ultra-intense 100 TW system for relativistic laser plasmas.
For the operation of the High Energy-Density (HED) instrument, user support, and for own scientific research activities, the group is seeking an
Instrument Postdoctoral Researcher (f/m/d)
- contribute to, and participate in internal research projects at x-ray free-electron lasers and synchrotrons, interact with international collaborations and user consortia
- take part in the operation of the HED instrument, support HED instrument scientists in running user experiments, including shift work
- plan and perform R&D on methods and applications specific to HED, high pressure science and warm dense matter
- support and advise of user groups in preparing and running their experiments
- PhD-degree in experimental physics or equivalent
- expertise in laser-plasma, high-pressure, or other dense plasma science
- knowledge on relevant X-ray techniques, such as synchrotron, laser, or XFEL based spectroscopy, scattering, diffraction or imaging is an asset
- passionate about working on cutting edge creative science in competent working environment
- excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a multi-lingual, multi-disciplinary team with good written and oral English skills
- a structured and self-reliant work mode
For additional information, please contact Ulf Zastrau (email@example.com) .
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers.
Become part of a vibrant international and multi-cultural team of scientists, engineers, technical and administrative staff. Be involved in cutting edge scientific and technical progress, participate in our international networks, and shape your life upon trust based flexible working times and telecommuting options. Experience our atmosphere of tolerance and respect.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme, broad relocation benefits, as well as subsidized job-tickets and meals at our company restaurant. The European XFEL GmbH intends to achieve a widely international staff. Company language is English, non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance.
This appointment is initially limited to 3 years and may be extended by 2 years.
18 February 2021
Please apply online and provide a motivation letter and a CV in English, a list of publications, as well as your reference letters in one single pdf-file.
Applicants with disabilities will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
To apply for this job please visit 122.rexx-server.com.