Join our team
European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques. User operation started in September 2017.
The Single Particles, Clusters and Biomolecules and Serial femtosecond crystallography (SPB/SFX) group of the European XFEL Facility is operating and developing one of six scientific instruments.
For the SPB/SFX instrument we are looking for an Instrument scientist for coherent X-ray imaging (f/m/d).
- contribute to the operation of the SPB/SFX instrument including as local contact and particularly for experiments exploiting the spatial coherence of the EuXFEL
- develop the SPB/SFX instrument, particularly towards improving its capabilities for single particle imaging
- perform and report research in the field of coherent x-ray diffractive imaging (CXDI) using highly coherent, facility based x-ray sources
- perform simulations of coherent imaging experiments at the SPB/SFX instrument
- PhD in experimental physics, coherent optics, x-ray imaging, single particle imaging (x-ray or electron) or a related discipline
- a sound knowledge of coherent x-ray diffraction and/or other techniques in coherent optics and the associated instrumentation
- the ability to conduct independent research while also contributing to ongoing team projects and instrument operation
- an exceptional motivation to learn and apply new experimental techniques
- highly developed communication skills
Experience working at a free electron laser facility, a synchrotron or another major research facility will be considered an asset.
For additional information, please contact Adrian Mancuso (email@example.com).
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme as well as broad relocation benefits. The European XFEL GmbH intends to achieve a widely international staff. Non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance.
The appointment is limited to 3 years and may, subject to a later decision, become permanent.
30 June 2019
Please apply online and provide a motivation letter next to a CV in English, as well as your references and list of publications in one single pdf-file.
Handicapped persons will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants. The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
To apply for this job please visit www.xfel.eu.