Reference code: 50092652_2 – 2023/WP 1
Commencement date: as soon as possible
Work location: Hamburg
Application deadline: 29.03.2023
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon conducts cutting-edge international research for a changing world: Around 1,100 employees contribute to the tackling of climate change, the sustainable use of the world’s coastal systems and the resource-compatible enhancement of the quality of life. From fundamental research to practical applications, the interdisciplinary research spectrum covers a unique range.
Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon operates an outstation at Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron (DESY) in Hamburg in order to provide access to highly brilliant synchrotron radiation within its German Engineering Materials Science Center (GEMS). At the PETRA III synchrotron radiation source, Hereon operates the High Energy Materials Science Beamline (HEMS/P07; jointly with DESY), the White Beam Engineering Materials Science Beamline (WINE/P61A), the Imaging Beamline (IBL/P05) and the Nanofocus Endstation of the Micro and Nanofocus X-ray Scattering Beamline (MINAXS/P03) along with supporting laboratories.
Within this framework, we are looking for a postdoc as instrument scientist at the new white beam beamline P61A starting at the earliest possible date. The beamline is mainly used for energy-dispersive diffraction for residual stress and phase analysis in metals and alloys. The position will initially be limited to three years and may be extended.
Equal opportunity is an important part of our personnel policy. We would therefore strongly encourage qualified women to apply for the position.
Institute of Materials Physics
The Institute of Materials Physics operates instruments on large-scale equipment for structural investigations of materials and works on the development and characterization of novel lightweight materials for high-temperature applications, for example in aircraft turbines and automotive engines. Hereon has a unique infrastructure for complementary materials research with photons and neutrons.
For inquiries, please contact Dr. Peter Staron at +49 40 8998-6912 or email@example.com.
- operating the beamline as second beamline scientist
- carrying out energy-dispersive diffraction experiments mainly for residual stress and phase analysis
- organizing and carrying out user service and industrial service at the beamline
- developing in-situ experiments and corresponding sample environments together with external cooperation partners and in‑house researchers
- developing user-friendly software for specific data reduction and analysis as well as for instrument control
- pursuing own scientific research in the field of engineering materials science within the scope of our R&D program
- publishing scientific results and presenting them at national and international conferences
- PhD in physics, materials science or a related discipline
- experience with residual stress analysis using diffraction techniques
- experience with synchrotron beamline instrumentation, sample environments and beamline control software
- experience in materials science
- capability of analysing large amounts of data
- excellent communication skills
- excellent English language skills; good German language skills
- programming skills in Python (including graphical user interface development)
- experience with energy-dispersive X-ray diffraction would be an asset
We offer you
- an exciting and varied job in a research centre with more than 1,100 employees from around 50 nations
- a well connected research campus and best networking opportunities / individual opportunities for further training
- social benefits according to the collective agreement of the public service and remuneration
- an excellent technical infrastructure and modern workplace equipment
- 6 weeks holiday per year and company holidays between Christmas and New Year’s Day
- very good compatibility private and professional life through offers of mobile and flexible work
- free assistance program for employees (EAP)
- corporate Benefits
Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
We are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive application documents (as one single pdf file including cover letter, CV, certificates, transcripts etc.) indicating the reference number 2023/WP 1 until 29.03.2023.
To apply for this job please visit www.hereon.de.