Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht operates an outstation at DESY in Hamburg in order to provide access to highly brilliant synchrotron radiation within its German Engineering Materials Science Center (GEMS). At the PETRA III synchrotron radiation source, Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht operates the High Energy Materials Science Beamline (HEMS, P07; jointly with DESY), the Imaging Beamline (IBL, P05) and the Nanofocus Endstation of the Micro and Nanofocus X-ray Scattering Beamline (MINAXS, P03; jointly with DESY) along with supporting laboratories
Recently, DESY has extended PETRA III with two extensions. DESY and HZG are building the new beamline P61 at one of the extensions for use with white X-ray beams. The HZG part (P61A) of the beamline will focus on engineering materials research. Among others, experiments for residual stress analysis and spatially and time-resolved phase analysis will be offered to users. The beamline is expected to start user service in 2020.
Within this framework we are looking for a PostDoc as Instrument Scientist (m/f/d) at the new white-beam beamline. The position will initially be limited to three years with the option of an extension. The place of employment is Hamburg (outstation at DESY).
- commissioning and running the new beamline
- implementing relevant software and developing new software for data reduction and analysis
- organize and carry out the user service at the beamline
- pursue own scientific research in the field of engineering materials science within the scope of our Helmholtz programme-oriented funding
- designing experiments and sample environments for in-situ experiments together with external cooperation partners and in-house researchers
- acquisition of scientific collaborations
- presenting and publishing scientific results
- PhD in physics or a related discipline
- experience with synchrotron beamline instrumentation and sample environments (experience with white beam techniques will be beneficial)
- programming skills in a high level computer language
- experience in materials science
- experience with diffraction techniques, especially residual stress analysis (experience with white beam techniques will be beneficial)
- capability of analyses of large amounts of data
- excellent communication skills
- good German and English language skills
For inquiries, please
We offer you:
- multinational work environment with over 950 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure including modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
The promotion of equal rights is a matter of course for us. Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
Please send your application indicating job offer
code no. 2019/WP 4
by e-mail (as one single pdf file including motivation letter, CV, list of publications and relevant certificates) to
Closing date for applications is May 12th, 2019.
To apply for this job please visit www.hzg.de.