European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques. Early user operation started in September 2017.
For the Small Quantum Systems (SQS) science instrument we are hiring up to two Instrument Scientists (f/m) – Reference Number: S-206
- participation in the commissioning and operation of the SQS scientific instrument, including the instrument-dedicated optical laser system
- development, test and integration of data acquisition and data analysis tools for the SQS experimental station
- support and consultation for instrument users during user operation
- participation in scientific user experiments
- development of individual research activities at European XFEL
- PhD in physics or an equivalent academic degree
- proven experience in electron, ion or fluorescence spectroscopy in the gas phase
- experience with UHV technologies
- practical experience at large scale facility (e.g. SR, FEL), experience with femtosecond optical lasers would be an asset
- knowledge of programming languages, Matlab, C++ or Python
- experience with DAQ electronics
For additional information please contact Michael Meyer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Working place will be Schenefeld, in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found here.
These appointments are initially limited to 3 years and may -subject to a later decision- become permanent.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme, as well as broad relocation benefits. The European XFEL GmbH intends to achieve a widely international staff. Non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance.
Handicapped persons will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
English is the working language, knowledge of German is considered an asset.
Please apply here and provide a motivation letter next to a CV in English, your list of publications, as well as your work certificates in one single pdf-file.
31 May 2018