European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques. Early user operation started in September 2017.
For the High Energy-Density (HED) science instrument we are hiring up to two Instrument Scientists (f/m)
- take part in the commissioning phase of the HED instrument which includes e.g. the alignment of x-ray beamline components, characterizing of the x-ray monochromators, screens and monitors, beryllium focusing lenses, characterizing the timing and position jitter between x-rays and optical lasers
- provide user support of the HED scientific instrument
- perform in-house research, interact in international collaborations, and user consortia
- Ph.D.-degree in experimental physics or a related discipline
- scientific interest and expertise in intense laser-plasma interaction, shock physics, high pressure science, or other dense plasma science, as well as on relevant X-ray techniques
- expertise in either of the following are considered a strong asset:
- commissioning and operation of an X-ray beam line at a large scale light source (synchrotron or FEL)
- installation and characterization of short-pulse optical laser beam and optical components (mirror alignment, telescopes, frequency conversion, focusing), and diagnostics
- excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a multi-lingual, multi-disciplinary team with good written and oral English skills
- a structured and self-reliant work mode
For additional information please contact Ulf Zastrau (email@example.com).
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found here.
This appointment is initially limited to 3 years and may – subject to a later decision – become permanent.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme, as well as broad relocation benefits. The European XFEL GmbH intends to achieve a widely international staff. Non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance.
Handicapped persons will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
English is the working language, knowledge of German is considered an asset.
Please apply here and provide a motivation letter next to a CV in English, your list of publications, as well as your work certificates in one single pdf-file.
13 May 2018
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://xfel-old.desy.de/careers/open_positions/scientific_staff/s_199/ →