The ESRF, the European Synchrotron, is an international science facility based in Grenoble, France. Thanks to its high-level, innovative engineering and cutting-edge vision, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research institutions worldwide, welcoming more than 6 500 scientists every year in fields such as biology, medicine, chemistry, earth and environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials and surface science, and physics. The ESRF is supported by 22 countries and employs 650 staff.
The X-ray Optics Group is an expert team which provides internal advice, support, development, manufacturing and measurement services for the optical elements of the instrumentation used at the ESRF. Within this team composed of 12 engineers and technicians, your missions will include the following:
- Manufacture diffracting crystal-based optical components: involving rough machining, grinding, polishing, crystal orientation, etching, surface metrology for quality control
- Operate and maintain the processing laboratories and equipment
- Contribute to technical developments of instrumentation and procedures
- Manage orders and purchases
- Document and archive information
- Assist in other X-ray optics Group activities
Your duties will require you to work in mechanical workshops, with acid etchants, with X-ray generators as well as working regularly in clean-room environments. The post also includes manipulation of fragile optical components.
PROFILE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Vocational qualification or technical degree in chemistry, physics, materials sciences, measurement sciences or a related subject
- 3 to 10 years of relevant professional experience
- Ability to read technical drawings and knowledge of CAD tools
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF)
- The successful candidate will demonstrate practical skills in one or several of the following areas:
- Optical polishing in a mechanical workshop environment
- Use of vacuum systems and equipment
- Machining and processing of brittle materials such as silicon & germanium
We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your quality of life and your installation in the Grenoble area when relocation is needed. The annual gross salary will be within the range 23 – 32 k€ and additional allowances may apply (expatriation allowance, etc.).
The ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
If you are interested in this position, please apply by 04/04/2018.