Job ID 1909
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health.
NSLS-II has an open position for a Group Leader for the Information and Communications Technology (ICT group). This group is responsible for envisioning and setting goals in the information and communications technology used in the facility. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading the ICT team within a larger program. The team is focused on the implementation, deployment, and maintenance of ICT systems used in the real time control, data collection and data storage of the facility, which is largely a Linux-based environment. The team contributes to ongoing development and support for various ICT technologies for experiment control and for experimental data handling and processing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Effectively lead and supervise the ICT team.
- Independently design and implement ICT solutions which require in-depth analysis and decision making.
- Select and support ICT standard solutions for both Accelerator and Photon Science Divisions.
- Perform periodic risk assessments and initiate risk control strategies.
- Prepare and distribute regular reports to management.
- Supervise repair and maintenance of all ICT equipment.
- Create project plans and other documentation.
- Maintain engineering expertise and develop knowledge of emerging technologies.
- Respond to operational problems as needed.
- BS Degree or equivalent in Computer Science, or closely related field of study
- At least eight years of relevant professional experience
- Experience as a Linux Sysadmin, and experience of working and development in Linux operating system environments
- Demonstrated ability to manage integration of systems, processes and applications
- In-depth knowledge of computer usage and programming.
- A demonstrated ability to setup software distribution mechanisms
- Practical knowledge of software and hardware engineering practices including testing, documentation, source code management and release procedures
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- A demonstrated ability to effectively lead a technical team.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (one or more of the following):
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, or closely related field of study
- Industry qualifications in a related field such as security, cloud services, project mgt, Linux admin, server admin, storage, etc….
- A demonstrated or practical use of software and hardware engineering practices and procedures
- Experience with laboratory information management systems
- Experience with large IT infrastructure, fast data transfer, or high-performance computing environment.
- Experience with GPFS, NFS, LUSTRE, GLUSTRE or other similar file systems.
- Prior work experience at a National Laboratory facility
Other Information: The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills, as well as the amount of relevant experience.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.