Website DiamondLightSou Diamond Light Source
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron; a huge scientific facility designed to produce very intense beams of X-rays, infrared, and ultraviolet light. Our scientists use the light to study a vast range of subject matter, from new medicines and treatments for disease to innovative engineering and cutting-edge technology.
About The Role
We are now looking for an experienced IT Security Engineer to provide technical expertise to address many aspects of the Information Security across Diamond, including software patching, monitoring IT systems, providing advice, and deploying/configuring MS365 tools and technologies to implement integrated security elements.
Responsibilities will include:
- Implement software patching for CIT systems
- Monitor, report and manage IT security activities and controls across diamond including MS365 security
- Participate as required in Project boards, incident management, and work groups to represent IT security providing advice and guidance re security architecture.
- Advise users and IT teams on best practice re IT security issues and controls
- Document IT security policies as required, for example Software patching policy.
- Deploy and configure MS365 tools and technologies to appropriately manage security risks
- Work with the MS365 Product Owner and Head of Cybersecurity Manager to develop mitigation plans for identified IT security risks
During ‘embracing MS365’ project – 1 year approximately
- Assist “product owner MS365” in leading a programme to implement security features of MS365 to provide optimal security for Diamond
- The post will be 40% seconded to the project; during this time, the holder will report to the Head of Cyber Security and Information Management
This role requires an onsite presence, however, hybrid working requests will be considered.
You should be educated to Degree Level or have a combination of education and commensurate work experience.
You will demonstrate experience / knowledge of:
- Using MS365 functions and elements, including Azure and defender
- Microsoft Security Suite and its associated products (Azure Sentinel, Azure Defender, MS365 Defender).
- Forensics needed following a breach.
- Principles behind the design and operation of networks, including TCP/IP, routers, switches, and firewall platforms.
- Common platforms and technologies such as Linux, Windows, Mac, Active Directory.
- The legal environment and its implications for IT operations and services and information management including but not limited to the Data Protection Act and GDPR.
- Remote access solutions, ideally including SSL based VPNs
You will demonstrate some relevant experience in operating and supporting MS365, although training will be available.
Diamond offers an exceptional benefits package to support staff in achieving a positive work/life balance. This includes 25 days annual leave plus 13 days of statutory and company holidays, along with flexible working hours and an excellent pension scheme. Staff also have access to a range of amenities on site including a nursery, cafes, a restaurant and sports and leisure facilities. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
Please use the online application process to apply and tell us why you believe you are suitable for this role.
The closing date for applications is 31st March 2023, however, we encourage early applications as some candidates may be interviewed before this date.
Where relevant, and possible for the role, we will consider flexible working arrangements, secondment and job share opportunities.
Diamond attract talented individuals from around the world and currently employ 44 different nationalities. Reflecting trends in our sector we employ more men than women (77% men and 23% women as at March 2021). Therefore, we particularly welcome applications from suitably qualified women.
If you are disabled and would like to be considered under the Disability Confident Scheme, please let us know via the online application process.
Diamond are members of Working Families (the UK’s work-life balance organisation), we have also achieved the Athena SWAN Bronze award and Disability Confident Level Two.
To apply for this job please visit vacancies.diamond.ac.uk.