Limited: 3 years | Starting date: earliest possible | ID: FSMA055/2023 | Deadline: 14.12.2023 | Full-time/Part-time
DESY, with more than 3000 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world’s leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
DESYs Laser Science and Technology Group is responsible for research, development and operations of high-power ultrafast lasers for DESYs large scale facilities. Here, high power, high repetition rate ultrafast lasers are essential for generating and manipulating of electron beams and for most of the science experiments at the X‑Ray Free Electron Laser facilities FLASH and European XFEL. We are looking for a highly motivated scientist to strengthen our international team of scientists, engineers and technicians. In particular, we are looking for a person to design, implement and develop ultrafast lasers to be operated in pump-probe experiments at the extreme ultraviolet and soft x-ray FEL FLASH in the fields of condensed matter physics, atomic, molecular optical physics and surface science. We welcome personal initiative for research via cutting-edge experiments and investigation of novel photo-excitation schemes.
About your role:
- Research and development of versatile ultrafast laser sources for pump-probe experiments at FEL beamlines with focus on nonlinear conversion schemes to extend the pump laser spectral coverage from UV to THz or photoelectron spectroscopy experiments
- Research in condensed matter science with focus on photoelectron spectroscopy using DESYs large scale facilities and ultrafast laser instrumentation
- Operate and maintain ultrafast pump-probe lasers
- Support user experiments at the Free Electron Laser FLASH
Good reasons to join:
Look forward to a unique working environment on our international research campus. We attach particular importance to appreciative cooperation and the well-being of our DESY employees. Gender equality is an important aspect for us. To support work-life balance we offer flexible working hours, variable part-time, job-sharing models and participation in mobile work (50%). You will benefit from our family-friendly and collegial atmosphere, our established health management and occupational pension provision. As a public funded employer, we offer you a secure workplace and facilitate your individual career with our comprehensive training and development opportunities. Remuneration is according to the regulations of the TV-AVH. DESY offers its employees a financial supplement for a German job ticket at both locations.
- PhD in physics, chemistry, electrical engineering or similar discipline with several years of experience
- Excellent knowledge of laser science and technology, condensed matter physics and surface science
- Demonstrated experience in pump-probe femtosecond laser spectroscopy and photoelectron spectroscopy
- Ability to develop an active research program compatible to existing research infrastructure
- Programming knowledge (Python, Matlab, Java) is an asset
Please submit your complete application documents (letter of motivation, CV and relevant certificates).
We look forward to receiving your application via our application portal:
DESY promotes equal opportunities and diversity. The professional development of women is very important to us and therefore we strongly encourage women to apply for the vacant position.
Applications from severely disabled persons will be given preference if they are equally qualified.
You can find further information here:
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department | Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
To apply for this job please visit v22.desy.de.