DESY, with its 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world’s leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
DESY expands its research on ultrafast lasers to drive novel very compact laser-plasma-based accelerators for future applications in health, photon science, and particle physics. Ultrafast laser technology is one of the key enabling technologies for these activities. In this context, we are searching for a highly motivated self-driven laser scientist with a background in ultrafast lasers. The candidate will be part of an international team that works on the development of a 100 TW class laser system with high repetition rates for a novel kHz laser-plasma accelerators (LPA). To realise this project, new laser concepts need to be designed, developed and tested for feasibility. Our unique group structure combines laser and LPA expertise where the candidate will also have the chance to participate in beam times and experiments.
- Contribute to the research and development of a 100 TW-class laser system with kHz-level repetition rates
- Technical feasibility studies to design new laser amplifier concepts for pulse energy and average power scaling
- Investigate novel ultrashort pulse generation concepts such as post-compression of ps laser pulses
- Laser characterization and optimization including: data acquisition and analysis, modelling and laser engineering
- Technical documentation and internal reporting as well as publication of the experimental results
- Ph.D. in physics, electrical engineering or equivalent qualification
- Proven scientific track record preferably in the field of ultrafast laser development
- Practical experiences with planning and building lab-based laser systems
- Experience with scientific software (e.g., CAD, Python, Matlab, Zemax)
- Very good knowledge of ultrafast laser technology and nonlinear optics
For further information please contact Andreas Maier 040-8998-6687.
The position is limited to 2 years.
Salary and benefits are commensurate with those of public service organisations in Germany. Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. DESY operates flexible work schemes. DESY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women. Vacant positions at DESY are in general open to part-time work. During each application procedure DESY will assess whether the post can be filled with part-time employees.
We are looking forward to your application via our application system:
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department | Code: MMA058/2020
Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg Germany
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
Deadline for applications: 14.03.2021
To apply for this job please visit www.desy.de.