Job ID 2671
Date posted 06/03/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Hard X-ray Scattering & Spectroscopy (HSS) program at BNL’s National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) offers world-class capabilities for studying complex and heterogeneous materials under in situ and operando conditions. The program provides specialized spectroscopy, diffraction, and imaging x-ray tools, supported by computational resources for high-throughput analysis and modeling. Within this program, the Quick x-ray Absorption and Scattering (QAS) beamline at 7-BM is designed to enable in situ studies of chemical and physical transformations by both conventional and quick x-ray absorption and scattering measurements. It enables the investigation of fast kinetics of samples from the fields of catalysis, energy storage/conversion and other scientific disciplines. It allows measurements using XAS and XRD techniques in one endstation and combines XAS and IR spectroscopy in a second endstation.
NSLS-II is seeking high-profile candidates for the lead scientist position of the QAS beamline. The lead beamline scientist has a vision, defines the strategy to advance the science program, enhances the beamline capabilities and proposes facility improvements and upgrades. The lead beamline scientist develops, monitors, and maintains safe operating conditions at the beamline and provides oversight of all staff and users of the beamline. The lead beamline scientist is responsible for the operation of the beamline in support of the NSLS-II facility users, supervises a group of scientific and technical staff, reaches out effectively to the relevant scientific and industrial user communities, develops collaborative programs, and liaises with vendors. The lead beamline scientist works closely with users, oversees the design, implementation, maintenance and upgrade of the beamline equipment, provides guidance and oversees progress in advanced data management and analysis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the safe operation of the state-of-the-art QAS beamline and support laboratories, in compliance with all BNL and NSLS-II rules and procedures
- Grow a scientific program in line with the NSLS-II strategic plan and support the facility mission with a focus on hard X-ray spectroscopy
- Provide best-in-class user support
- Propose and manage the QAS operating budget, beamtime allocation and schedule
- Approve and supervise all work performed at the beamline with proper work planning and controls
- Develop and expand operando, in-situ, and data analysis capabilities
- Maintain/operate/develop beamline instrumentation
- Collaborate with NSLS-II and BNL scientists, General and Partner Users for effective and high-impact use of the QAS beamline.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in physics, chemistry, materials science or related field
- At least 5 years of demonstrated experience applying X-ray spectroscopy to high-impact science
- Strong publication record in using X-ray spectroscopy and/or diffraction techniques
- Track record in the design, installation, commissioning and/or operation of a synchrotron radiation beamline
- Knowledge of X-ray spectral analysis and modelling
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills and methodical record-keeping
- Demonstrated effective teamwork and prior exposure to a diverse group of scientists, engineers, technical staff, and users.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge with X-ray optics and detectors
- Experience with fly-scan measurements
- Expertise with sample environment development and applications
- Understanding of beamline control systems e.g., EPICS, Tango
- Proficiency in scripting or programming using Python or equivalent languages
- Successful experience in supervising a scientific/technical group or leading projects
- Experience with automated high-throughput sample measurement
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.