An excellent opportunity exists for motivated and enthusiastic professionals to lead and assist in delivering new beamlines for ANSTO at the Australian Synchrotron, Clayton VIC
Lead Scientist – Advanced Diffraction & Scattering Beamline
- Fixed Term Position Available with a possibility of long term appointment
- A Competitive Salary Package will be offered commensurate with qualifications and experience | Generous Employer Superannuation Contribution
- Opportunity to apply your expertise and professional skills in a unique facility
BRIGHT is the exciting new ANSTO program that will design, install and commission 8 new beamlines at the Australian Synchrotron over the next 7 years. The BRIGHT Program’s objective is to deliver to ANSTO new world-class research infrastructure.
About these positions
These Lead Scientist roles are responsible for leading the technical design, procurement, installation and commissioning of the Advanced Diffraction & Scattering (ADS), High Performance Macromolecular Crystallography (HMX), and Nanoprobe beamlines at the Australian Synchrotron. Further details relating to these beamlines are given below. You will be required to engage and manage the interactions with key stakeholders and the user-community to provide technical and scientific direction to the beamline construction project.
Reporting to the Senior Principal Scientist, your extensive experience in synchrotron science, including beamline and optics design as well as your excellent interpersonal and communications will be essential to this role.
There is a potential for this role to contribute in the post implementation phase of the project and possibly be a long term appointment.
Benefits of working at ANSTO
We are a centre of excellence with a reputation for attracting and retaining high calibre staff offering employees the following benefits and opportunities:
- Investing in our employees by supporting tertiary studies and encouraging job opportunities
- Offering work/life balance including flexible working arrangements, salary packaging benefits, generous superannuation and great working conditions
- Providing an extensive range of leave provisions including paid recreation leave, 16 weeks maternity leave and special leave which covers cultural, moving, funeral and emergency leave
- Promoting health and wellbeing programs offered by ANSTO through regular onsite employee health and wellbeing programs, including annual men’s and women’s health screening programs.
Diversity and Excellence
In order to solve great challenges, we need great minds and great teams. At ANSTO, we understand that diverse teams produce better outcomes – and we value the merit that a diverse perspective can bring to our team. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply for our roles including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, primary carers, those with a disability, and women in STEM. ANSTO is a charter member of the Science in Australia Gender Equity (SAGE) initiative and is proudly taking action to create a gender-inclusive workforce.
The BRIGHT Beamlines
- Advanced Diffraction & Scattering Beamlines (ADS) consists of two simultaneously operating endstations for a range of monochromatic and pink beam diffraction and imaging experiments, and will strongly complement the existing Powder Diffraction beamline at the Australian Synchrotron. ADS will be optimised for a range of leading-edge diffraction and scattering techniques including: materials studies under extreme conditions of temperature and pressure; and non-destructive detection of cracking, fractures, textures, strains and deformations in large manufactured objects. The core capabilities of the ADS beamlines will encompass:
- Rapid traditional powder diffraction for experiments where increased penetration and high momentum transfer information is required (in situ and in operando studies);
- Total scattering analysis or Pair Distribution Function (PDF);
- Thermo-mechanical deformation studies including rapid texture analysis and 2D mapping;
- White/pink beam Laue diffraction, and energy dispersive diffraction studies; and
- High speed imaging, and combined imaging and scanning diffraction studies.
- High Performance Macromolecular Crystallography Beamline (HMX) will strongly complement the existing Macromolecular Crystallography beamlines (MX1 and MX2). HMX will be a beamline specialising in fragment screening, serial crystallography, in-situ diffraction studies, and conventional crystallography on those samples that require more flux than available on the micro focused MX2 beamline. Sample injectors and a specialised goniometer will allow HMX to specialise in micro to nano crystals and very weakly diffracting materials. HMX will likely use a secondary source and multilayer monochromator optics to provide a full beam of far greater brilliance than MX2, and micro focused/collimated beams of ~10 mm2 in size.
- Nanoprobe Beamline will strongly complement the existing X-ray Fluorescence Microscopy beamline and will be optimised for fluorescence resolution and sensitivity. The Nanoprobe will achieve sub-100 nm resolution and ppm sensitivity for d-block elements, enabling research into elemental distributions within biological, geological, environmental, and advanced materials specimens in both 2- and 3-dimensions (mapping and tomography). The Nanoprobe will adopt cutting-edge ptychography capabilities to provide correlative imaging of ultrastructure with spatial resolution of an order of magnitude better than the focused beam size. Cryogenics will be utilised to mitigate radiation damage for mapping studies but also to enable tomographic studies of sensitive materials.
For further information and to apply
For further technical information relating to this position please refer to the Position Information Package or contact Michael James on +61 3 8540 4144 or Michael.James@ansto.gov.au For all other queries please contact the HR Shared Services Team on +61 2 9717 3111 (press 2 for HR).
If this position sounds exciting and you are ready for a challenge, please complete the application form and submit your application online.
How to apply:
To apply for this job please visit anstocareers.nga.net.au.