- Ref.: COD/ TID-MIS-PUMA
- Contract type: Time-limited contract
- Salary range: 30-55K€
- Contract duration: Up to 3 years
Context & Job description
The Management Information System (MIS) group is in charge of developing database applications for organizing the scientific workflow at the ESRF. One of the key performance indicators on which the success of the ESRF is measured is the number of scientific publications and their scientific impact.
A custom software application, called PUMA (Publication Matching), developed by the neighboring high flux neutron reactor is mining publication data to match scientific publications with experiments and methods. The data harvested by this system provides a powerful basis for further analysis and can be used to monitor and analyse scientific trends, impacts, maps of research fields, potential users and communities. PUMA is based on several machine learning (ML) and Big Data algorithms written in SCALA, whereas the Business Intelligence part is written in JAVA.
Your mission will be to adapt the PUMA application to ESRF needs and to implement additional algorithms (ML and Big Data) to enrich its functionality. The PUMA package will be of strong interest to other Research Infrastructures, and all further developments shall be made in a way that they can be used generically.
You will work in close collaboration with the team in charge of supporting scientific visitors (User Office), the Management Information System Software group, the facility that originally developed PUMA, and other research infrastructures participating in H2020 projects.
- Higher university degree (Master or equivalent 300 ECTS diploma) in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent,
- 1 to 5 years of professional experience in software development,
- Strong skills in object-oriented software development,
- Skills in JAVA are required and skills in SCALA programming language are an asset,
- Good relational skills, team spirit, a service-oriented attitude and an analytical mind are essential to interact with people of different domains such as scientists and administrative staff in a multicultural environment,
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF).
We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your quality of life and your installation in the Grenoble area when relocation is needed. The monthly salary may be complemented by additional allowances upon eligibility (expatriation allowance, etc.).
To apply for this job please visit esrf.gestmax.eu.