SESAME is the first synchrotron light source in the Middle East and neighbouring countries. It is located in Allan (Jordan). The Facility was officially inaugurated in May 2017. It consists of a 20 MeV Microtron, an 800 MeV Booster synchrotron and a 2.5 GeV electron storage ring. Three beamlines are in operation and hosting users. They are the BM02-IR (Infrared) spectromicroscopy beamline, BM08-XAFS/XRF (X-ray Absorption Fine Structure/X-ray Fluorescence) spectroscopy beamline, and ID09 – MS/XPD (Materials Science/X-ray Powder Diffraction) beamline. A fourth, the soft X-ray ID11L-HESEB (HElmholtz-SEsame Beamline) beamline, will be receiving its first users in 2023, and a fifth, the ID10-BEATS (BEAmline for Tomography at SESAME) beamline, has been inaugurated in June 6, 2023. This suite of five beamlines, from the eight planned for Phase I, will allow world-class research in virtually all fields of science.
SESAME is seeking a Machine Operation Technicians with a Diploma degree in Electrical/Electronic engineering, Mechatronics, Instrumentation, or Physics, who have good knowledge of operating and testing electrical devices and instrumentation. The successful candidates will work under the direct supervision of the technical director.
Under the overall authority of the Technical Director, and the general supervision of the incumbent’s supervisor, and in close collaboration with the Machine Operation team, the main responsibilities of the incumbent will be to:
• Ensure the safe, reliable and efficient operation of the three SESAME accelerators and related systems.
• Undertake the required tests, fault-finding and feasible rectification of failures within his/her experience and capabilities.
• Monitor and report in writing on the performance of the accelerators.
• Take part in the upgrading, testing and maintenance of the accelerators, and installation of any components/equipment to be replaced/added.
• Take part in the elaboration of relevant documentation on the accelerators and guidelines on procedures for their operation.
• Coordinate the working tasks to be carried out on the accelerators during shutdowns of the accelerators.
• Undertake shift work as laid down in SESAME’s Staff Regulations.
• Execute tasks jointly with the other groups in the Technical Sector and groups in the Scientific Sector when required, and provided back-up support for their activities whenever needed.
• Take part in collaborative, training, knowledge-sharing and any other relevant activities both in Jordan and overseas.
• Carry out any other tasks/duties as requested by the immediate supervisor and/or the Technical Director.
Education and Experience
• Diploma degree in Electrical/Electronic engineering, Mechatronics, Instrumentation, or Physics.
• Minimum of two years of experience in the field.
• Good knowledge of operating and testing electrical devices and instruments.
• Very good experience in the use of computer software and Microsoft office.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Good skills in using laboratory electrical/mechanical tools for the installation of equipment. and in performing troubleshooting and repairs when required.
• Good knowledge of programming languages like Python, Matlab, C or C++ is preferable.
• Previous work in a scientific research lab or a synchrotron facility is preferable.
• Very good knowledge of English (spoken and written).
• Appointment is made by SESAME Director.
• The Machine Operation Technician will be hired at the grade and step compatible with his/her experience.
• The work location is in Allan, Jordan
• The position requires full time commitment.
• In addition to the basic salary the incumbent is entitled to other allowances (as stated in SESAME provisional Staff Rules and SESAME Staff Regulations).
• SESAME is an equal opportunity employer.
How to apply
A detailed C.V. in English and a cover letter should be addressed to the Administrative Director by filling the online submission form on the announcement page. Candidates from SESAME Members with equal qualification will be given preference.
For further Information
Consult the SESAME web site: http://www.sesame.org.jo
To apply for this job please visit www.sesame.org.jo.