Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron; a huge scientific facility which accelerates electrons through a chain of three accelerators to produce very intense beams of X-rays, infrared and ultraviolet light. Our scientists use the light to study a vast range of subject matter, from new medicines and treatments for disease to innovative engineering and cutting-edge technology.
Diamond is one of the most advanced scientific facilities in the world, and its pioneering capabilities and talented staff are helping to keep the UK at the forefront of scientific research.
About The Role
Diamond is planning a major upgrade of the facility, which will replace the current electron storage ring with an even more brilliant light source at a higher energy. We now have an opportunity for a magnet engineer/physicist or senior magnet engineer/physicist to design, procure and test the many different types of magnets (electromagnets, permanent magnets and pulsed magnets) that will be needed.
Responsibilities will include:
- Carrying out 2D and 3D magnetic designs of high quality accelerator magnets, covering the full range of d.c., a.c. and pulsed magnets, both permanent magnet and electromagnet.
- Collaborating / leading interactions with the Accelerator Physics Group and Engineering Group staff to ensure magnet designs achieve the required specification and field quality, and can be integrated into the accelerator and positioned to very high accuracy.
- Assisting in / responsibility for creating detailed magnetic / mechanical / electrical procurement specifications.
- Assisting in / responsibility for the supervision of procurement contracts for the supply of magnets.
- Assisting in / responsibility for the set-up, operation and maintenance of high precision magnetic measurement systems.
- Undertaking magnetic measurement of accelerator magnets and analysis of data to assess field quality.
- Ensuring Diamond’s magnet designs and production methods are state-of-the art, by keeping abreast of worldwide developments in magnet technology.
Successful applicants will be appointed as either a Magnet Engineer / Physicist or a Senior Magnet Engineer / Physicist depending on the strength of your knowledge, skills and experience.
You will be qualified to degree level in Physics, Engineering or another relevant discipline, with PhD qualified candidates desirable.
You will be highly experienced in the field of magnet design, construction and testing, preferably of accelerator magnets, with good knowledge of electromagnetism.
You will also demonstrate experience of 2D and 3D magnet design using commercial software, design and testing of high quality accelerator magnets, and magnetic measurement systems and data analysis.
To be considered for the senior role you will also demonstrate significant experience of magnet production techniques as well as supervising procurement contracts for high quality accelerator magnets from industry.
You will display excellent communication and interpersonal skills to interact effectively with staff at all levels
Diamond offers an exceptional benefits package to ensure an excellent work/life balance including 25 days’ annual leave, 13 days statutory and company holidays, flexible working hours, an onsite nursery, an excellent pension scheme, and social and sporting activities. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
Applicants are required to outline their suitability for this role via the online application process, detailing which role you are applying for.
Where relevant, and possible for the role, we will consider flexible working arrangements and secondment opportunities.
Diamond attract talented individuals from around the world and currently employ 39 different nationalities. Reflecting trends in our sector we employ more men than women (78% men and 22% women as at 5 April 2019). Therefore, in accordance with law and good practice, we particularly welcome applications from suitably qualified women.
If you are disabled and would like to be considered under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme, please let us know via the online application process.
Diamond are members of Working Families (the UK’s work-life balance organisation), we have also achieved the Athena SWAN Bronze award and Disability Confident Level One.
To apply for this job please visit vacancies.diamond.ac.uk.