Job ID: 2457
Date posted: 12/03/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II ) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health.
- The NSLS-II Mechanical Engineering Group has an opening for Mechanical Engineer position. The candidate will supply engineering support for the design, analysis, construction and maintenance of mechanical systems for the NSLS-II Accelerator Division. The mechanical systems include Storage Ring magnet and support systems, Front end systems and Utility systems including deionized water (DI), processed chilled water, hot water, compressed air, and HVAC systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Engineering and Design
- o Provide engineering support for all aspects of the NSLS-II mechanical systems including detailed designs, specifications, calculations, drawings, and cost estimates.
- o Manage projects through the entire project lifecycle from conceptualizing, design, estimating/planning, budgeting to construction, installation, and testing.
- Project Management
- o Ensure adherence to work scope, schedule and budget.
- o Develop project plans to meet customer needs within available budget and time frame.
- o Coordinate or direct the work of a group of engineers, in-house trades, general contractors, and outside Architects/Engineers
- Construction and Testing
- o Develop plans to start-up, test, and verify that system performance meets the needs of the facility and identified requirements.
- o Monitor and oversee the construction process with the support of construction inspectors.
- o Work closely with other members of the technical staff to develop, execute and report on experiments.
- Operations Support
- o Support accelerator operations to improve the overall system reliability.
- o Maintain and implement safety practices and procedures applicable to daily activities.
- o Develop procedures to maintain and field-certify installed systems.
- o Prepare and deliver presentations to organizational stakeholders and senior leadership, as required.
- BS degree in mechanical engineering and at least 3 years of experience in a mechanical engineering related field with an emphasis on machine design.
- Ability to perform design responsibilities for a project from conception to completion
- Working knowledge of Inventor 3D (or similar) modeling software for design and layout of equipment and components.
- Working knowledge of dimensioning and tolerancing drawing standards per ASME Y14.5
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with a diverse group of scientist and technical staff.
- Technical writing skills and experience with spreadsheets.
- Demonstrated understanding of classical mechanical engineering analysis.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: (one or more of the following):
- Master’s degree in mechanical engineering and 7+ years of experience.
- Experience scheduling and tracking projects using Microsoft Project or similar project scheduling software
- Ability to perform thermal, vibration and stress analysis using ANSYS
- Ability to perform analysis in- fluid dynamics
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.