This is a matrix position within Engineering that supports the various user facilities and projects at LBNL. Supported facilities and projects include, but are not limited to; the Advanced Light Source, the Advanced Light Source Upgrade project, DUNE, and CMB-S4; and engineering support for the wide array of science and technology at LBNL.
LBNL was based on a principle of team science. It is the premise that everyone on the team or in support of the team is a contributor. No idea is ignored. All ideas are considered and included in the discussion. It’s an exciting time to join our growing team!
Under the initial direction of a lead support person, you will independently perform a variety of complicated mechanical engineering tasks, including design and development activities in support of specific scientific and engineering programs, taking responsibility for sub-projects and sub-groups within major projects or research programs at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL).
These activities may include conceptualization, design, planning, implementation, and completion of assigned problems, tasks, and projects, which have a high degree of complexity and range in scope. Moreover, the Mechanical Engineer will conduct, coordinate, and/or make significant contributions to large projects or multiple small projects utilizing independent judgment and decision making while working within schedule and budget constraints.
This position will be hired at a level commensurate with the business needs; and skills, knowledge, and abilities of the successful candidate.
What You Will Do:
- Using extensive knowledge and experience of mechanical engineering concepts and tools, perform as a fully qualified and experienced professional engineer and group-level expert/resource.
- Work on projects independently, or in teams, using professional engineering concepts to develop practical and creative solutions to complicated problems whose scope is typically in known technology with incorporation of new technology.
- Take initiative to assist others in resolving issues outside their immediate area of responsibility.
- Participate in discussions of the engineering components of scientific initiatives, working with other divisions and scientists in problem-solving and defining procedures and goals.
- Independently prepare design specifications, analyses and recommendations for presentation and approval of scientific and management personnel.
- Formulate cost and schedule data associated with such components and prepare technical or progress reports.
Additional Responsibilities as needed:
- Supervise the work of technical and professional staff.
- May assume a critical role in a particular component of larger projects/programs.
- Plan, organize and conduct technical projects/programs involving the design, fabrication, modification, and evaluation of mechanical components.
What is Required:
- Typically requires a minimum of 5 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 3 years and a Master’s degree; or equivalent work experience.
- Demonstrated extensive knowledge and experience in mechanical engineering concepts, theories, practices, and tools.
- Demonstrated technical expertise sufficient to perform complicated and difficult engineering work.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, conduct and lead technical projects/programs and to formulate, track and report cost and schedule data.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment and interact effectively with a broad range of colleagues.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Precision Machine Design and tolerance analysis.
- Experience with large assembly management – product structure, BOM, PLM, etc.
- Ability to lead work of others and give work direction.
- Experience with the design and fabrication of metallic and/or composite structures.
- Experience with Accelerator Vacuum systems and/or cryogenic applications.
- Supervisory experience is desirable.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
- This is a 2-year term appointment with the possibility of extension or conversion to Career appointment based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs.
- Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Classification will depend upon the applicant’s level of skills, knowledge, and abilities.
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values at Berkeley Lab. Our excellence can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and staff who share our commitment to these values. Successful candidates for our faculty positions will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to advancing equity and inclusion.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA 94720.
Learn About Us:
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Based on University of California Policy – SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lbl.gov.